The Orphan Girl

I'm sitting in a white recliner, in a white room with a woman at the end of it, facing away from me. Her clothes blend into the background because they are white as well. This place needs to be decorated. The woman's shoulders shake slightly as if she was crying.

"Hey," I speak to her quietly, "Are you okay?"

She turns around and glares at me, like I've done something horrible to her. There are bags under her eyes and her face seems wet, probably tears. Her hands, that lay uncomfortably at her side, shake just as her shoulders were.

"I WASN'T CRYING YOU STUPID UNGRATEFUL LITTLE GIRL. WHAT ARE YOU, AN IDIOT? EVERYONE HATES YOU. HAVEN'T YOU NOTICED THAT YET? YOU'RE OBLIVIOUS TO EVERYTHING THAT EVER HAPPENS UNTIL SOMETHING IMPORTANT HAPPENS. JUST. LIKE. YOUR. PARENTS. YOU DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT ME AND YOU'RE ALREDY BEING HORRIBLE. YOU'RE JUST LIKE YOUR STUPID PARENTS. THE WHOLE LOT OF YOU ARE HORRIBLE. YOU SHOULD NE'ER HAE BEEN BORN!" she yells seriously loud. This woman has got to be mental.

"And you don't know me either so how on earth do you know what I'm like? I'm not a bad person, I was just brought up in a bad place with bad people. Give a girl a break luv before talking to someone like that. I asked if you were okay because you looked like you were crying. That. Is. All." I say back. I didn't yell, I just spoke a little bit louder than usual.

She uncontrollably shakes her head and moves away from me, only to bump into the wall behind her.

"YOU'RE SATIN, JUST LIKE YOUR PARENTS. I KNOW IT. I'M ALWAYS RIGHT. YOU ARE GOING TO KILL ME. YOU'RE GOING TO KILL US ALL AND YOU'RE PROBABLY GOING TO ENJOY IT, LIKE YOUR PARENTS. YOU'RE GOING TO RUIN EVERYTHING AS YOUR PARENTS DID. I KNOW YOUR PARENTS, YOU DIDN'T. YOU ARE LUCKY YOU NEVER KNEW THEM. I KNOW WHO YOU ARE, YOUR EVELYN. I'VE BEEN TOLD YOU ARE JUST LIKE THEM AND U BET YOU ARE. I HATE YOUR PARENTS. THEY RUINED MY LIFE. IM HAPPY THEY ARE DEAD. SO HAPPY THEY ARE GONE." she yells again. Definitely insane.

"I hate my parents sometimes as well. They abandoned me and I had to pay the price for everything they've done. I'm guessing my 'carer' told you what I was like. He never liked me either ad I never knew why. I wouldn't kill you. I'd have to be insane to do something like that. And also, I'm not Satin, I'm Evelyn. I'm one perfectly normal person just like you." I say, regaining my confidence slowly.

"I don't believe you. Nope. No. Nooo. You ARE just like your parents, manipulative and cruel. I KNOW IT." I swear to God, I'm going to punch her clean in the face. All it takes is one more horrible word about me or my parents to come out of her mouth and I'll do it. I promise I will.

"What do I have to do to make you realise I'm nothing like them?" I ask.

"SeeSee you're already getting impatient with me. You're just like them. There is nothing you can do to make me believe them. Nothing. You. Can. Ever. Do." She points her shaky finger at me and I look down at my feet.

"Are you okay?"

"DON'T YOU EVER TALK TO ME LIKE THAT. OF COURSE IM OKAY, IM NOT STUPID AM I? I HAVE A GOOD JOB. I NEVER LIVED LIKE YOU!" she points a shaky finger at me.

"I didn't have a choice whether I lived there or not so don't go giving me that rubbish." I roll my eyes at her and tut loudly so that she is sure of the annoyance in my voice.

"THE REASON YOU LIVED THERE IS BECAUSE NO ONE LIKES YOU. HAVE YOU EVER EVEN THOUGHT ABOUT THAT. AND YOU SAY YOU'RE NOT STUPID."

"I never said that, in fact, it was you that mentioned the word stupid, not me." I keep my voice flat and emotionless so she doesn't go mental again. The crazy woman needs to be taken to a mental home.

"YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT YOUR TALKING ABOUT."

"Yeah I do."

"Nope." she shakes her head uncontrollably again.

"I don't know what to say. Should I leave? Is that what you want? I don't know what my parents did but I'm sorry. I'm just confused because I don't know what's going on and why you hate me. People have been giving me horrible looks ever since I got here and I still don't know why. What makes me different to everyone else? That's what I don't understand." I stand up and make my way over to the door to leave.

"Stop," she whispers then growls as if she were a wolf. Wolf. Like the ones from those illusions. Is this another illusion? I spin around like she did when I woke up. It seems like ages ago. "Look...Evelyn... I'm sorry but then again, I'm not sorry. A couple of people must have acted like they hated you to see what you were really like. They're just scared at wether you are going to be like you parents. They weren't nice people."

"Are you mental or something? You think yelling at me is not going to annoy me. You have seriously got to be stupid. Ive been told and yet, no one tells me why." I growl back. I'm sick of people and everything.

"I'm not the right person to tell you that. I don't you're going to find out about everything for a while. I don't know why they won't tell you but they've strictly told us not to say anything. I've probably said too much already." She sighs loudly and move to the stool that sits next to the recliner chair. She pats it so I walk over to sit back down on it.

"When you say 'they', who do you mean. I don't know anyone who'd keep that sort of information from me. And also, you've not even told me your name yet. I'm new remember." I say.

"My names Lisa and I'm not going to tell you about that. Right, so, back to the fear landscape then."

I'd forgotten about that. I look up so that I'm in her eye line and smile. I wait for her to speak again and tell me what it's about but she never says anything. She seems to have blanked out while staring at the door. I frown and turn around to see if anyone is there and there is. It's just Natalie.

"Hey." I say.

She smiles and waves at me and then turns her attention back to Lisa. Tori scowls and she seems to look a bit scared. She's not a horrible person. What's the matter with you woman!?

"Can I be in here alone with Evelyn please Elizabeth," She smiles cruelty at her, "Now."

I turn away from her, feeling a bit awkward. I've never seen Natalie like this. This must be a different side to her that everyone else gets. Weird. Lisa quickly gets up and knocks the stool over as she does. She leaves it like that and pushes past her and runs away, down the hallway.

"What was that about?" I ask, again with the loud-ish voice.

"I wanted to talk to you about your fear landscape instead of that beast doing it. I've never liked that woman, never. Let me guess, she started yelling at you to see what type of person you are." She asks, raising her eyebrow.

"Yer. I didn't know what I was doing. It was a bit funny though at first, I always want to laugh at inappropriate times. I've got to admit she is a good actor, crying and all of that stuff."

"She does it to everyone. Don't take it personally." she smiles warmly.

"Why'd she seem scared of you?"

She frowns and stands up.

"I'm not as nice as you think Evelyn but anyway, back to what we were talking about," She turns away so that her back is facing me. I never thought she'd be that type of person, she's so nice, "Your fear landscape was different to other people's."

"Do you mean that as a bad thing?" I ask.

She shakes her head and carries on talking, "I think you're different, special maybe. People don't like that though, it scares them."

"That's basically what Tori said to me but she said something about the Boss being here. He's not."

She raises her eyebrows, "What makes you think it's a 'he'?"

I shrug my shoulders and look down at my feet, again. This is going to become a nasty habit. I don't like it.

"Evelyn," I look up, "You are divergent."

(Meh. Another chapter for you guys. Stay in school kids and baiiii)