Chapter 6

Luna

"Hurry up, Alyssa! Luna's gonna be late for his flight!" Papa called from his seat on the couch. Miss my flight? Hm...doesn't seem that bad.

In that case... "Take your time, Mama!" I joked, earning a hard glare from Papa. Oh well. It was currently 6:45 in the morning and I was preparing to leave for my flight which took off at 7:30. Of course, I was trying to stall as much as I can to avoid this horrible trip. Who the heck wants to be stuck in another country for months without any friends or family? I already knew how this trip would go:

Terrible.

Papa and I had been standing there for ten minutes, waiting for Mama to finish getting ready. We're just going to the airport. I didn't understand why she needed to take forever to get ready. Finally, Mama came down the stairs, dressed in nothing but sweatpants and a sweater. She took years to get ready just to wear that? Are you serious?

"Oh baby! I'm gonna miss you so much!" I cried when I spotted Aurora poking her head out of the kitchen. I immediately scooped her into my arms and placed kisses on her furry little head.

"Luna we don't have time for this," Papa sighed. I nodded and gave Aurora one more kiss before exiting the house with my parents. We entered our car and began to head off to the airport. As I passed through my hometown, which mostly consisted of trees and ranch houses, I began to tear up a bit. Yeah, I'm crying because I'm leaving home. I'm an emotional boy, so what?

It wasn't long before we finally arrived at the airport. Papa grabbed my bags as Mama and I filed out of the car and into the airport. They followed me through the airport until they couldn't go any further. I turned to face them with tears starting to well up in my eyes. Stupid emotions...

"Don't cry baby," Mama frowned, pulling me into a hug. I glanced over her shoulder at Papa who was giving me an unamused look. Right...I'm supposed to be a responsible adult...

not a crybaby.

"I'm not crying," I lied, wiping my eyes. "I'm just allergic to...planes..."

Mama giggled, squeezing me even tighter. "Right...I'm gonna miss you, honey."

"I'm gonna miss you too, Mama," I sighed, pulling away from her. She kissed my cheek before moving out of the way for Papa to say goodbye. As I reach for a hug, Papa holds his hand out, stopping me in my actions.

"I'm trusting you, Luna," he said sternly. "Do not mess this up for me."

"I won't!" I smiled. "I'm going to exceed your expectations, trust me."

"You better," he gave me a stern look which made me a bit uncomfortable. I cleared my throat and prepared to leave as I heard my plane being called. "You're not gonna give your old man a hug?"

I felt the heat in my cheeks as a ping of embarrassment filled me. Oh god... "I-I didn't know you wanted one," I whispered and headed over to give him a hug. He was about a head taller than me so I could only reach far enough to wrap my arms around his torso. A smile grew on my face as I felt him return the favor by giving me a tight squeeze and a kiss on the forehead.

"I know I don't show much affection towards you but I do love you, Luna. I think you're gonna do an amazing job with this," he muttered.