Chapter 26

"Do you know how long it'll be before I get any information?" Adrian asks, nervously biting his lip

The hospital secretary gives him a sad smile and shakes her head. "I'm sorry, but I don't know. It could be all night."

"O-Okay," Adrian mumbles and makes his way back into the waiting room. It has been about twenty minutes since he'd arrived with Luna, who he'd rode with in an ambulance. With a loud groan, he plops down in one of the chairs, ignoring the looks he receives from the others in the room. He brings his legs up to his chest and tucks his head between them, trying his best not to let his mind wonder.

"Adrian!" he hears a frantic voice call, not too long after. He lifts his head up to see Luna's parents running into the waiting room, followed by his own parents. Alyssa kneels down in front of him, gently taking his hands into hers. "What's going on? What happened?"

"I-I..." Adrian stutters, staring down at his hands. Alyssa lets out a sigh and takes a glance at Adrian's grey sweatshirt which is covered in random splotches of red liquid, causing her to gasp. With a hard swallow, she forces her eyes back up to Adrian's pale face.

Angelo, who has also noticed the stained sweatshirt, takes a seat next to the man, softly rubbing his back. "Take your time, kid. You don't have to rush yourself."

Adrian's parents make sure to stay nearby, Belle gently running her fingers through his hair. It takes a while before Adrian can muster up the courage to speak. When he finally does, all he can choke out is a quiet, "I-I'm sorry..." before he, once again, goes silent. Luna's parents glance at each other and prepare to move until Adrian slowly starts to recall the events from just over an hour prior.

"Luna? Luna?! Babe, what happened?!" Adrian asked over the phone, glancing up at the red light in front of him. He'd been stopped for a couple of seconds now, trying his hardest to abide by the law while quickly making his way to Luna. When he received no response, he immediately felt his heart fall to the pit of his stomach. Muttering quiet curses under his breath, he searched for Luna's location on his phone. He threw his phone to the side and looked at the bare streets around him before stepping on the gas pedal, ignoring the bright signal for him to remain stopped. Going as fast as possible, he sped through the streets of his New York suburb, making his way toward the location shown on his phone. What feels like five years, but only ten minutes, of backroads, highways, and ignored stoplights, finally come to an end when he approaches what seems to be the site of his boyfriend. Adrian climbs out of the car and takes a look around the empty backroad, confusion filling his mind when he sees no trace of his boyfriend. All it takes is a faint crackling sound for Adrian to notice the ditch on the side of the road, causing his brain to shut down. As he stared at the sight of the ditch, his body went numb and cold in fear. Almost perfectly in the middle of the ditch, is a familiar black car, almost completely destroyed as it's flipped upside down. Shards of glass filled the ground around it along with small black pieces from the hood and sides of the car. Worst of all, small orange flames were engulfing what looked like the back of the car. Before he could even register what he was doing, Adrian took off into the ditch and toward the car, his mind blank. It took a couple of tries but he eventually pried the door off of the car and opened it to see his lover, covered in glass and blood, completely unconscious. He ripped off the seatbelt and gently slipped his arms under Luna's limp body, pulling him out of the burning car. Using what is left of his adrenaline, he carried Luna as far away from the car as possible and dropped down to the ground with a heavy sigh.