Chapter 15

Make sure to leave some comments!

Adrian

A small smile forms on my face as I drive into my father's neighborhood. It's been a while since I've last seen him. I slowly drive down the street until I pull up in front of a familiar yellow house. As soon as I park my car into the driveway, the front door swings open and Dakota runs out. "Baby brother!" she smiles, tackling me in a hug.

"Hi, Dakota," I groan as I feel her crushing my ribs. After a few minutes, I pry her off of me and make my way toward the house. "Who's over here?" I ask as we head up the steps to the porch.

"Everyone," she replies and opens the door. And she is not lying. As she opens the door, I see Naomi on the couch playing with my niece and nephew as my stepbrother watches a football game on the television.

My stepbrother, David, looks over and smiles when he sees me. "Adrian! Long time, no see, man!" he exclaims as he comes over to give me a handshake. My niece, Ava, runs over to me with a large smile on her face as she hugs my torso.

"Uncle Adri!" she squeals.

I pick her up and spin her around as she giggles. "You're so big now! How old are you?"

"I'm almost five years old!" Ava grins. "My birthday is next week! Are you coming to my party?"

"Of course I'm coming to your birthday party," I say as I place her back on the ground. She squeals and dances around before going back to what she was doing before. Before I know it, my nephew, Logan, is running over to me. I bend down and hold my hand out for a high five. "What's up, little man?" He shakes his head and goes back over to playing with his toys. I chuckle and stand up, grabbing a pillow to whack Naomi.

She looks at me with a blank face. "I'm gonna beat you up." I laugh loudly and make my way into the large kitchen. I'm instantly hit with the smell of food as I spot my step mother, Belle, standing over the stove as she cooks. Belle is my father's wife of 15 years who is the sweetest woman I know. When my sister and I moved in with my dad, she would always take care of us and support us when my dad was overseas. She was also the woman who inspired me to graduate early and start my company due to the success of her own. Belle owns a successful company that provides toys and clothes for unfortunate children. While our businesses are completely different, Belle was my original inspiration to start up Hafler, inc. Belle's curly hair is pulled up into a large puffball that compliments her dark skin. She is sporting a light blue apron over a grey t shirt and blue jeans. I walk over to her and wrap my arms around her, causing her to jump. I softly kiss her cheek and pull away. She looks up at me confused before letting a white smile form across her face.

"Aw look who came to visit!" she says as she pulls me into a hug. "I've missed you, Adrian!"

"I missed you too, mama," I reply, peeking into the pot to see what she was cooking. Before I can get a could look, she smacks me in the shoulder with an oven mitt.

"No peeking in my pot, boy!"

"Okay okay I'm sorry!" I laugh, backing away. "It smells good!"

"That's because I'm cooking it," she smirks. "When is the last time you had a home-cooked meal?"

"Uh..." I look up as I think about when was the last time Luna cooked for me. "Monday night, I think? Earlier this week, for sure."

Belle's eyes widen when she hears my response. "Oh really? Who's been cooking for you?" she asks as she turns around to stir whatever is in the pot.

"Don't worry. You'll find out eventually," I wink at her. As I respond, I hear heavy footsteps coming down the stairs before my father enters the kitchen. His black and grey hair was slicked back in a way that was similar to mine. His tan skin is glowing as he is obviously happy about something. His grey sweater clings to his muscular body along with a pair of black jeans.