Chapter 2

John's POV

I paced back and forth, should I tell Sherlock? Sarah said in her letter not to tell anyone, that she wasn't coming back. If I told Sherlock he would probably go frantic trying to find here then again that's what he's been doing for two years. My phone beeped and I opened the text

I know you know. I think it's time we had a chat, what do you say old friend?
-SH

Yep she's alive. I typed my reply

Meet me at the cafe four blocks from Baker Street. You have some explaining to do.
-JW

She instantly replied.

You buy the coffee.
-SH

I chuckled, she obviously hadn't changed at all.

Sherlock's POV

I sat in a small cafe, a full cup of steaming tea in front of me that I couldn't bring myself to drink. I followed every lead possible, and they all ended the same, she was dead. Lestrade had tried to help me during the first year, but after a while he too lost hope. Maybe everyone was right, she was really dead, but it doesn't make sense. She said she had to do it, why would she have to do it? then we find Moriarty dead in an ally beside the hospital, his body so deformed it was like he had been thrown off the roof. She took down the greatest criminal the world has ever seen, but he took her down with him. I can't live like this, I never thought I, Sherlock Holmes, could be like this. Give someone the power to break me, I got up leaving some bills on the table. John will be fine, Joanne will be fine, I'm sure they'll make up eventually.

I climbed the stairs to the roof, I walked out onto the roof feeling the cold air of London. I stepped onto the ledge looking down at the people. Is this how she felt? oblivious to the world up here. A group of teenagers walked by laughing, another taxi moved on, a homeless person sat on the ground across the street, and then John walked by. Wait John? where was he going? he doesn't have work for another two hours. Forgetting why I was up here, I jumped down from the ledge and ran down the stairs. I ran out onto the streets in time to see him turn the corner. I ran trying to catch up, once I was close enough I slowed down blending in with the crowed as I followed him. He entered a small cafe and sat down, he was alone, but obviously waiting for someone.

John's POV

I ordered my tea, and Sarah's coffee. She hated tea, although I don't know why. I watched a woman with blond hair a bit darker than Sarah's, it couldn't be her. She was much to skinny, hair a bit to dark, and she had blue eyes. Yet she came over an sat down across from me, I was about to say something but she cut me off. "Before you say anything, yes it is me. Colored contacts and died my hair" "your so skinny" "haven't eaten in a while" "want me to-" "no John we don't have the time" she said sternly. "Why?" "what?" "you know what, why did you do it?" She sighed "Moriarty had snipers watching you, Joanne, Miley, Lestrade, and Sherlock. If I had not done it, you would all be dead" she explained. She gave up everything to save us, "but why didn't-" "John listen to me, you guys were all I had, I didn't grow up with a normal family, so turns it felt like I had no family at all. You were the only family I had ever known, and I wasn't about to let anything happen to you" her face was grim. There was no sign of that mischievous sparkle in her eye, I missed her jokes. "Why not come back now? Moriarty is dead" "didn't you read the bloody letter? I have other enemy's like him, I can't put you all in danger again" "Sarah you listen to me! me and Sherlock were involved in the case before you came, we had been in dangerous citations before you came. We can handle dangerous, Joanne can obviously since she lived with you. Joanne needs you, I need you, Sherlock needs you, the world needs Sarah Harvey to come back" I said sternly. She sighed, took a sip of her coffee and looked back at me. "Things aren't that easy, they never are" "will you at least bloody try?" she nodded "I'll try John, but we both know things can't ever be the same" I nodded. "Good, now for gods sake eat a sandwich!" she laughed, she laughed her laugh, I knew it was her. The Sarah I knew was still in there, hidden beneath this cold, broken girl, who seemed to know nothing but pain and sacrifice. She froze, starring out the window, I turned to see him. He must have followed me, he wasn't supposed to know yet. Sherlock turned and ran, I turned back to see Sarah was gone.

Sherlock's POV

I kept walking, I knew she was fowling me. I entered a dark alley before turning around to see her. She was alive, she was here. How could John not tell me? "Sarah" "hello sherlock" her expression held no emotion. "How could you do that?!?" I yelled "how could you do that to Joanne, to John, to Me!" I screamed. She shook her head "Sherlock I had to. I couldn't let him-" "there's your bloody problem. You won't let people help you! why couldn't you let us help you!" I yelled. "Because you would have died! If I hadn't jumped the snipers would have shot you and I couldn't love with myself knowing I could have saved you!" she yelled. "Do you know what I was going to do that night" I yelled ring box in hand, I always had it with me. I threw it onto the ground "I wanted to en with you! you Sarah Harvey! the only woman I have ever loved, the only woman I could ever love" she turned away trying to hide her tears. The rain began to fall, harder and harder. It was now pouring as we both stood there. "I did it for you. If you were in my positions hat would have you done?" I staid silent "that's what I thought" she turned and walked away.

Sarah's POV
I stopped and looked back once I was out of his sight. He sighed before picking up the box, brushed off the dirt and put it back in his pocket. I didn't want to leave them, to leave him, but I couldn't let them die either. Yes I had predicted what Moriarty had planned, I knew I couldn't tell them incase things didn't go right. I told John I would try, and that's what I planned on doing. I don't think Sherlock will ever forgive, but I have to try and make peace. I think it's time to come back into the world. I've been in the dark long enough, John was right the world needs Sarah Harvey. Besides who else is gonna save it's ass?