twenty seven | tubes & throwing up

Zayn

It had been a few days since my surgery and I hadn't left the bed ever since. The past few days were the most painful days I had ever experienced in my entire life. Painkillers had helped me to at least reduce the pain slightly, giving me rest. Day by day, step by step, I was getting better. The wound on my stomach was extremely itchy, but that'd mean it was healing- so the doctor said.

They had given me a catheter as I wasn't allowed to leave the bed yet. It was a slightly weird concept, the bag with your urine hanging on the side of your bed, a tube attached to your body, though, I was grateful for the fact that it existed. I'd be in too much pain to walk over to the toilet.

Sleeping a lot and barely eating, I knew it was a bad thing, but I couldn't keep the food down and the appetite was simply not there. Because of that, they had decided to give me tube feeding from now on. I wasn't exactly looking forward to that, but I needed the food, I needed the energy to fight and heal.

It was currently seven am, and although I had huffed because it was way too early in my opinion, I knew it most likely had a reason.

Caroline had opened the curtains and she moved the upper part of my bed up so I could sit down. Rubbing my eyes and yawning a few times, I quickly took my painkillers, knowing the others were almost worked out.

"Zayn, as you know Rose needs to do some things here for paragraphs and one thing is applying and adjusting tube feeding on someone. Do you mind if she's going to do it on you today? I'm still here to watch if she does everything right, but we need your consent." Caroline questioned, her eyes fixed on my face.

I looked up at her, "Rose?" Then I smiled. "Yeah, of course!" That was way too happy, Zayn. I thought, so I coughed, "She.. needs to learn it after all."

Caroline chuckled, "Somebody is feeling better today."

I rolled my eyes and bit my lip to hide my smile. "The painkillers are working."

"And so is Rose." She mentioned.

I frowned but chuckled, "What do you mean by that?" Of course I was happy when Rose was around, but I'd never admit it.

"Rose is working today." Caroline tried to look serious but she couldn't prevent herself from smiling playfully.

And the moment I wanted to defend myself and tell her how Rose didn't do anything to my feelings- the beautiful girl walked into the room, quickly glancing at the clock and sighing in relief when she saw she was on time.

"Good morning." She smiled softly, my eyes falling on her as she looked different today. Her hair was wet and it wasn't wavy like it normally was. Instead her hair was separated in a few thick straight strands as that was what water did to long hair.

"Hey Rose! Good to see you." Caroline gave her a soft smile, retrieving the needed material for the tube feeding.

Rose walked over to me and looked at my face in concern, but when I gave her a smile, her worried frown disappeared and a smile came back instead. "How are you feeling, Zayn?"

"I'm better. Thank you," I stared into her deep dark eyes, the mystery in them making me long to get to know her even better. But, I quickly shook off the thought as it was confusing me and I looked away, focusing my attention on something else.