82.

Rose

It was almost eleven am and people started to arrive for Zayn's birthday. His aunts and uncles arrived first with his young cousins, eventually some older cousins came and not too long after his grandparents.

"Keep in mind that this is probably the last time you'll see him.." Caroline said quietly as people entered. It made me feel extremely sad, knowing Caroline basically confirmed that she didn't see a chance he'd still heal.

Zayn was still asleep even though they all greeted him with a kiss or hug. Me and Caroline pulled out chairs for everyone around Zayn's bed while Trisha was already cutting the cake.

His young cousins were playing on the floor with their toys and Simba, which I had bought at the zoo for him, and I watched them with a smile on my mouth. They were so innocent, they didn't understand anything about what was happening to their older cousin.

The older cousins were just talking to each other and Zayn's sisters, the adults doing the same thing. When everyone and everything was settled, I sat down on the chair beside Zayn's bed.

The noises seemed to wake him up this time and he had to blink a few times to realize what was happening around him.

I turned my face to him, "It's your birthday." I whispered. Zayn turned his face to me and smiled, softly stroking my cheek with his warm hand. It made me blush a little as some family members were looking at us but they were only happy for Zayn and mine happiness, so it didn't matter.

Then Zileh, one of his aunts stood up and walked over to Zayn as I moved the upper part of his bed up. "My boy, happy birthday sweetheart." She kissed his face and handed him a present.

"Thank you," Zayn smiled and started taking off the wrapping paper. It seemed like he was weaker than a few hours ago when I bathed him, because a minute later he still wasn't done with the paper.

Another aunt came up to him and pressed kisses to his face as well. "Aren't you just so handsome? I can't believe you're twenty two!" She placed her present beside him and he smiled at her, then looked at the present but focused on his first one again.

"Happy birthday, Zayn!" The younger cousins climbed on the bed and showered him in kisses, presents and drawings, only piling it up because he was still unwrapping the first one.

"Thank you." Zayn smiled again. I could tell he really was enjoying his family's company. He was slowly looking around him and smiling at everyone who noticed and smiled back.

His uncles were now all wishing and hugging him and a few of them brought presents, placing them beside him. When everyone had finally greeted and wished him, they all sat down and waited for Zayn to open his presents.

Zayn was still busy with the first one, his eyebrows slightly furrowed as he was focused. He took a deep breath and looked up at me when he couldn't open the tape.

"Do you want me to help you?" I asked, making him slowly nod his head.

"The bones in my fingers hurt." He whispered as he looked down at his lap. I knew it was hard for him to admit his pain, so I was so proud of him that he finally did it.

I took a few presents from the pile and started opening them with him, "It's okay. I'm happy you told me."

Zayn smiled again and laid his head against his pillow and stared at me as I opened his presents. When they had opened, I gave the gifts to him and he smiled, but frowned when he forgot who gave it to him.

"Thank you.. everyone. Really." He stared at his new art and music supplies, smiling at his family who were all telling him it was more than okay.

Safaa walked up to the bed and grabbed some of his presents. "Mama, why does he get presents when he's going to die? He doesn't need them." She was confused.