77.

Zayn

"Zayn, wake up love." I felt someone rubbing my back and slowly shaking my body as that person was trying to wake me up. "You need to eat something."

I slowly opened my eyes and expecting to see my mother, I was confused when I saw Caroline smiling at me. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I started to recognize the room.

"You're in the hospital, love. You came back yesterday." She confirmed, pouring some water into the glass she had put on my nightstand. "You remember it?"

"Yeah," I almost whispered, rubbing my face again. I had slept for hours but I still felt like I hadn't slept for days. My energy was very low and I wondered if it would only get worse because I was terminal.. or if there was a chance it would still get better.

Caroline moved the upper part of my bed up so I sat down while my head was still pressed against my pillow. I watched her as she prepared a sandwich for me.

"So the bed and new mattress were good I suppose? You've been asleep ever since you passed out on the bed yesterday," Caroline smiled.

I frowned, "I passed out?"

Caroline glanced at me with a frown on her face as well, but she then understood and laughed softly, "I didn't mean it literally, Zayn."

"Oh," I chuckled slowly and wiped my mouth, cringing when I felt the slight amount of saliva in the corner of my mouth, making clear I had accidentally drooled in my sleep.

"Here you go. Eat something, we're going to visit the doctor soon." She handed me the plate and I stared at the food for a while.

"Where's Rose?" I asked, my eyes roaming all around my room, hoping to find her somewhere.

Caroline chuckled, "Give her a rest, Zayn. She's been with you the whole week and now you're still looking for her?" She teased, "And I thought I was your favorite nurse."

I smiled, "You are, Caroline. Rose too, but in a different way. And can you blame me? She's my girl now after all."

"Right, right." She laughed softly, slowly shaking her head. "I'm happy for you, Zayn. I really am. Because I know that she makes you happy."

I nodded, "She really does." I smiled down at my lap as I played with the crumbs on my plate. "Caroline?" I said.

"Yes, love?" She looked at me with questionable eyes.

"You'll look after her when I die, yeah?" I asked quietly, looking up from my lap, right into Caroline's already sad looking eyes.

"Zayn.."

"You will, right? You've followed many courses when you wanted to become a psychologist at first. You'll make sure she's alright." I said, hope clearly audible in my voice.

I didn't want to think about leaving Rose behind. I didn't want to hurt her, it made me so extremely sad. What if she became depressed? Or felt alone? I'd never forgive myself.

Caroline sighed sadly but smiled when she pressed her hand to my cheek, softly brushing her thumb over it. "Of course I will, Zayn. But don't worry about it now."

"Promise?"

She nodded. "Promise. Now eat up your sandwich, take your pills and drink your water because the doctor is waiting."

I took the sandwich from my plate and started taking small bites, trying to swallow the whole thing which was hard. After what was about fifteen minutes, my sandwich was finally gone and I took my pills with the water. Caroline had been waiting for as long as it took me to do that, a worried expression visible on her face.