21

"Dear Diary,

It's frustrating not knowing who to trust and who not to.

Yours Truly,
Roselle."

As Roselle woke up from slumber, she immediately knew what day it was. However, the once cheer and happiness she once used to feel every year, on this specific day, drained from her body like the blood of the deer when it has been killed.

The day that held a key milestone in every person's life, Roselle couldn't help but feel like it was a joke. That it was created in order for people to know that they were going to die soon. That the wrinkles in our faces were more prominent, the greys in our hair more conspicuous.

And when Roselle walked down stairs, the familiar lingering smell of a fresh batch of croissants was imminent all around the room. A plate, full of the French delicacy, was decorated with flowers with a card attached to it, signifying just how much Roselle had hated this day.

'Happy Birthday kiddo, sorry I couldn't be here to say it in person! Have a good day and I hope all your dreams come true!- Blaire'

Roselle rolled her eyes at the card, not understanding how the hell, after all these months, Blaire did not get the message that she had hated birthdays. Because birthdays just signify how far away you are from your original starting point. How close you are to death.

Yes, Roselle hated birthdays. But it wasn't because she wanted to be like those edgy kids who saw things differently. And it wasn't because she was insecure about getting older. And it definitely was not because she was afraid of death.

It was because today marked the death of Lilly Parker and Roselle's engagement to Brett.

Despite hating this particular date, Roselle was slightly happy that her Aunt had left her car for her. Maybe that was a sign that Hiram finally bought her a new car. Whatever the reason might be, Roselle was happy she had her old red car back.

And of course, out of all the places she decided to drive to, it had to be the Mantle Household. Because after late night thinking and the inability to sleep, Roselle saw nothing but to visit the man and apologise.

And as she pulled up to the curb, getting out her car, the Parker girl put on a smile while holding the left over croissants from today with a bouquet of pink roses and a single white one. She didn't know how many times she had seen this house, Reggie being the nice person he is and letting her sleep over. But that house was more like home to her than hers would ever be.

Knocking on the door, Roselle prepared herself for what her sorry speech was going to be like, but was met with another familiar face. One that she had seen before. It was Reggie Mantle's Mum, Melinda. "Um hi, my name's Roselle. I'm here to see your son Reggie."

Melinda peered at a beaming Roselle, examining her appearance. Not once in her life of raising Reggie, did a girl come visit him, so the mother was left with nothing but to smile at the girl. She must have been something different to know where Reggie lives and to visit him with a basket of baked goods.

"He's about to come down." Melinda smiled at the girl, making Roselle smile back. Melinda's eyes then trailed over the croissants, her lips slightly twitching making Roselle give her a humoured smile.