Chapter 8

Kayla's POV

Kayla's POV

Clary , Simon , Alec and I make our way through the back alley way to get to her moms loft.

" ok we have to be careful there are eyes all over this place, and there are shadow hunters looking for you." I tell clary as we make our way down the alley.

"I guarantee you that no on is gonna find the shortcut. I used to take it back in middle school to see clary. you might know the shadow world.... but trust me I know Brooklyn. come on." Simon says running and jumping over a wall. That was really weird. We follow him and end up in the back entrance of the loft. Simon climbs up the ladder with no problems.

" have you been doing parkour or something?" clary asks climbing up the ladder.

"you've gotten a lot better at this." Simon says to clary.

"I was just gonna say the same thing about you." clary says back to Simon.

" climbing a fire escape excites mundanes. I'll never understand these people." Alec says as he climbs up the ladder last. we make our way to the door and see the place covered in runes.

" woah I dont remember it like this." clary says as she looks around. We keep looking around and it turns out Simon can see the runes too which should not be possible for a mundane. I'll have to check on that later, but for now we have to focus on finding the box.

"this is from when me and Simon were engaged to be married." clary said looking at a drawing on the wall of that was a heart and had their initials on the inside.

"you were engaged, I'm also certain I don't want to hear this story." Alec says rolling his eyes.

" we were eight years old." Simons says and I just smile at him.

"I think it's adorable." I say to the two causing them to smile.

" that was a whole other world ago." clary says as she moves towards the door and goes to open the door and turn the knob and it doesn't budge. it's locked

" there's one flaw in your plan Simon." clary says turning back to Simon.

" here let me try." Simon says and he takes the knob trying to pull it open and it goes flying open. the more we're with him the more I'm starting to get worried about him.

"after you." Simon says to clary and she walks in.

" after you Kayla." he tells me and I laugh and say ' thanks' and walk past him, I turn back to see Alec going to walk in but Simon cuts him off.

"ooh. after me." he tells Alec and walks in before him and I try my hardest not to laugh. We follow clary to her room and we see that it's all burnt to ash. I can tell it's really affecting clary.

" there's nothing left of me here." clary says.

"of course there isn't, your mother was trying to erase any trace that you existed. so you couldn't be tracked. she was protecting you." Alec tells clary