The shy Eevee

The next day, our heroes were making their way through the forest, hoping to find a civilized location.

They had been lost for at least a few hours by then, but Ash tried to keep the group's calm.

Meanwhile, the Pokémon were having their own conversations. Pikachu had jumped off from Ash's shoulder, walking by the other Pokémon.

"Ever since yesterday, I haven't had a word with Eevee. She keeps hiding behind Bunnelby, and seems... scared of me... for some reason. Is it really her? Or am I just being hopeless...?" Pikachu thought disdainfully at himself.

"I need to talk to her! But... if it really was her, wouldn't she have recognized me by now?"

"Um, Earth to Pikachu..." Pancham called, waving his hand in front of the mouse to snap him out of his deep trance.

"Oops, sorry! Just... thinking," he answered blankly.

"What could you be thinking so much about?!" Chespin questioned him, pulling back his arms with jealousy. "Is it about my Eevee?!"

"She isn't yours..." Pikachu answered, mostly annoyed.

"Soon she'll be... we are meant to be! This is my love story~!" he stated, eyes turning into big pink hearts.

"My, he's gonna be disappointed..."

The trio looked up. "Talonflame!"

"You were spying on us this whole time?!" Pancham said, ticked off.

"What can I say? It was an interesting conversation..." she said calmly. "Especially, since I've never seen Pikachu distracted before... hehe."

Pikachu blushed, embarrassed by the fact. "Do you have anything good to say?!"

"Well, yeah, actually... I've noticed... you seem pretty interested in Eevee, Pikachu. Why is it?" She tilted her head to the side, landing neatly next to the boys.

"I've got... my reasons. It's certainly not for the same reason as Chespin, though!" he cleared up, twiddling his fingers nervously.

He sighed lowly. "I know I need to gain her trust... but I don't know how."

Pancham put a his paw on his chin, thoughtful. "Hmm... well, definitely not being like Chespin will help!"

"Agreed!" Talonflame nodded.

"Hey!" the grass Pokémon shouted, offended.

"Think why Eevee likes Bunnelby so much," she explained. "It's because Bunnelby is calm!"

"And quiet!" Pancham added.

"Nice!"

"Polite!"

"Peaceful~!"

Both looked at each other, agreeing.
"...Unlike Chespin!"

"Why are you dissing me?!" he cried, angry tears threatening to come out.

"Just because."

"Interesting..." Pikachu thought aloud, paying them no mind. "...But, can I be like that? I'm Ash's Pokémon after all."

"If you really want to talk to Eevee... you'll have to," Pancham stated firmly. Pikachu gulped nervously.

"Good luck, bro," Talonflame whispered in his ear.

.

.

.

"Well, here goes nothing..." He took a deep breath. He slowly walked over to the Bunnelby and Eevee, who were next to each other as always.

"Um, hi," he said, as quietly as he possibly could.

"H-hi," Eevee responded, staring at the ground. Seeing this as a good sign, he stepped closer.

Bad move.

"Ah!" she immediately shrieked with fear, hiding behind Bunnelby, who served as a living shield. Both him and Pikachu sweat-dropped.

"I honestly don't know what she sees in me..." Bunnelby whispered to the mouse, who looked disappointed.

He sighed sadly and left.

Eevee peeked at him leaving, until a soft, mature voice rang through her ears.

"Eevee, why are you so shy with him? Pikachu just wants to be your friend. He helped you defeat Team Rocket, remember?" Bunnelby told her gently.

"Well... yeah," Eevee answered, recalling the memory.

"Then why don't you give him a chance?" Bunnelby asked.

"I-I just can't."

Bunnelby chuckled for a moment. "For the same reason as Chespin?"

"N-no! Pikachu... is fine. It's just, whenever I look at him or hear his voice, my head hurts..." Eevee frowned deeply.

"What...? Do you hate him?"

"It really hurts! All I can see is blurry... my mind goes to the very back of my head, like there's something to be remembered? I don't know, it just... feels wrong..." she said, looking distressed.

"Hmm... that's interesting," Bunnelby answered, thoughtful. Eevee stayed silent, wanting to say no more.

.

.

.

"Pikachu. That Pikachu. It's not his fault... right? He seems... like a really nice Pokémon. But I just can't bare to be near him. Why? I don't know. I have no idea. It's like I've seen him before. Almost... like he is a dear friend."

Eevee's thoughts cornered her inside her own mind. "Someone I could trust and feel comfortable with. That feeling... is really bittersweet, since of course, he's actually a stranger. I've been alone all my life. Never seen a single face I could cherish with no fear. No backstory. Like I was created from the nothing. Things have always been like this..."

Eevee sighed, looking at her reflection in the river. After that encounter with Pikachu, when the group was eating lunch, she told Bunnelby she needed some time alone... and he took her to this river.

"A good place to think," he said with a gentle smile.

"Am I making the right decision? Should I have stayed... in my peaceful loneliness? Danced to myself, under every moon, till the last day of my life一"

"Eevee..." That cheery voice kept ringing inside her head...

"Without you...?"

-Please remember to hit the little star if you enjoy! 🌟

-
Please remember to hit the little star if you enjoy! 🌟