Day 4

Reality hit Pikachu like a rock. Out of everything, he never expected to see his old friend dead...

So much he didn't believe it, at least not at first. "G-gone? What... what are you talking about?!"

"Her heartbeat's stopped and her fur has gone cold…" Eevee explained, eyes widened and filled with sudden shock and pain.

They both stared at each other for minutes, before Eevee could hear a sniffle from her friend, slowly, very, turn into muffled noises.

He immediately ran towards her, tackling her to the ground in a tight hug. "W-why Purin? This is my fault. If only I had come earlier一"

"I-it's fine Pikachu. We all make mistakes," the brown Pokémon answered, rubbing his back, comfortingly.

"But I do feel guilty, too. I told Purin to fight, with everything she's got…" She paused for a moment with remorse. "...And she did."

"I always knew she was a good-hearted Pokémon, but I never thought she'd go this far!" The mouse chuckled for a bit while remembering a memory. "Like all those times she gave me death threats for messing with her stuff."

"Huh... she did?" Eevee was slightly taken aback considering how good those two treated each other with their reunion.

"Yeah, but she wasn't serious... or at least I hope she wasn't..."

They both both snickered a little at the comment, though still sadly.

They took a moment to glance at their friend's lifeless presence. Any sympathy they felt seconds ago disappeared on what felt a heavy silence.

While Pikachu kept staring, hurt expression, he didn't notice the sound of dirt being trashed one way to another.

He looked to his side to catch Eevee digging with all her left strenght, just in the place Purin had sung and collapsed.

"What... are you… really?"

"We're not going to just leave her out like that are we?" Eevee quipped, with a frown at Pikachu's density, while still concentrating on her work.

"But what about the Houndooms?" Pikachu argued. "They'll sense the smell and come for her..."

"We'll make sure they don't! I'm making it really deep for a reason," she answered. And she was right, in the few minutes he'd been distracted she'd dug down almost what could be classified as a ravine.

"I'm gonna look for something. I'll be back quick," he said before bolting off.

"Where is he going?" the Eevee wondered before she went back digging.

A minute or two later he came with a pretty big boulder, at least for his own size, which he was carrying, tumbling one side to another. Eevee nodded, understanding now.

She crawled with ease back to the top, and, as tenderly as they could, Pikachu and her laid Purin inside of the burrow, kicking all the soil back where it belonged.

Pikachu put the boulder he brought just in front of both of them.

"I also brought something I found back in her cave…" He smiled slightly, holding it up for her to see.

It was a flower, tightly attached to a piece of rope, like a necklace. "It's pretty, isn't it?" he stated. "It looks just like a flower I gave to my friend back here in this same forest... must be the same species."

And indeed, it was a eye-catching flower. At least for Eevee.

She couldn't stop staring at it so strongly the mouse for a moment thought she was gonna snatch it from him, admiring how much it looked like her Pikachu friend.