Chapter 2 - Chan's downfall

The word 'murderer' had played in her head at least a thousand times throughout the night, keeping her up and making sleep near to impossible. She wouldn't say she actually believed the rumour that was apparently a 'fact' but it was definitely something that she was interested in.

"There's no way." She muttered to herself as she locked her front door after stepping outside. "He surely wouldn't be in school if he murdered someone!" She conceded as she began her short walk to school. It can't be true. He'd never be allowed back to school if that was true. Na Ri's thoughts were cut off when she spotted Bo Ra across the street, linking arms with a boy she'd never seen before. She debated on greeting the couple or just continuing on her way but before she could come to a conclusion she got pushed aside as a boy sped past on a skateboard.

"Hey!" She yelled as the blonde boy continued on, not stopping to apologise. Chan glanced back at the stunned girl with a small smirk on his face before focusing his attention back on the footpath ahead. "Who does he think he is!" She grumbled whilst fixing her hair. Chan couldn't help the chuckle that left his lips at the sight of her annoyed face. He never went out with the intent of pushing her but once he had returned from his thoughts she happened to be right in his line of path. It wasn't his fault that she hadn't noticed him behind her.

Once he arrived at school he made his way to the rooftop where he normally sat alone. He had done this for the past two years. Nobody ever went up to the roof since students aren't actually supposed to be up there but nobody had ever cared enough to tell him otherwise. Chan sat in his usual spot, right on the edge of the building with his legs dangling over, overlooking the field where boys would play various sports.

He smiled sadly down at his lap as he replayed past memories of himself with his group of friends, all laughing and kicking around a ball. He hated how everything was different now. It was no longer how it used to be and he had nobody to blame but himself.

Chan swung his legs back and forth as he watched different groups of people. He'd always found people watching interesting. He'd never realised just how many different kinds of people there were until he was left with nothing to do but watch others for entertainment. Over the past two years he'd finally understood the term 'You see everything when the world doesn't see you.'

"Pretty sure that's stalking y'know." A voice commented from behind him causing him to jump a little in surprise. He whipped around to see the new girl standing by the door with a small smile on her face. He scowled at the sight of her and turned back around. She rolled her eyes at his rude gesture but stepped forward to approach him.

"Are you always this rude? I'm only trying to be friendly." Na Ri remarked but wasn't surprised when he didn't reply. She took a seat beside him and looked towards the horizon. Chan watched from the corner of his eye as the light breeze ran through her hair. He felt as though he should apologise for this morning but chose against it.

The pair sat in silence for a few moments before she spoke again. "I can see why you sit here. It's nice."

Chan decided to cut this 'bonding' session short. He got up without saying a word and left, leaving her to sit alone in confusion by the edge of the rooftop. "Nice talk." She muttered as she heard the rooftop door close, signalling his departure.

He sighed in relief once he heard the door shut behind him. He really didn't want to spend another second with the new girl. He found her annoying and didn't see why she felt the need to sit with him. He stomped down the stairs to the ground floor where room 43 was and sat at his usual space at the back, waiting for the sound of the bell. 

Just like the previous day, Na Ri arrived a few minutes before the bell. She strolled into room 43 but unlike yesterday, she smiled at him. Chan was confused by this action but Na Ri felt proud of herself. She figured the boy was just lonely and bad at making friends. Perhaps that's why he was always alone and had grown hostile. She was determined to at least be a friendly face to him, whether that meant they would actually become friends or just a casual smile as he passes by.