Chapter 24 - Crashing Down

Monday came much too soon for Na Ri's liking and with only a few more weeks until exams began, she was beginning to feel the pressure. She had never cared much for her grades, perhaps because failing was expected from her by everyone she knew but something about this new school made her want to do well, or maybe it was a certain someone's influence. 

The thought of Chan made her smile as she made her way into the school building and down the hallway but she noticed something different, wiping the smile clean from her face. The usual smiles she got were no longer evident on student's faces and instead replaced with scowls. Na Ri felt slightly baffled as to their reasoning but she brushed it off, figuring people still thought of her as the culprit for Bo Ra's pregnancy rumour that they deemed as a lie. 

Na Ri had never been one to care for rumours, especially those involving herself so to her this wasn't a big deal but a part of her was nervous. What if more rumours circulated? What if her past came out? What if Chan found out the truth? 

She faced the floor, avoiding eye contact with her glaring peers. A sudden feeling of deja vu washed over her body, like how a wave hits the seashore. Memories of her last few days in Daegu flooded her mind. She remembered everything so vividly, from the harsh looks students shot her way to the smell of the window cleaner used by the students the night before on their clean up duty. 

Whispers surrounded the hallways - much like how they had at her previous school too. She glanced around as all eyes watched her every move. Na Ri quickened her pace in determination to escape the watchful eyes of others. Her breathing became heavy and her chest felt tight as the hallway seemed to close in on her. 

Once making it to classroom 43 for attendance she sat in her normal seat but everything seemed different. Na Ri couldn't tell if it was due to the odd looks in the hallway or that Chan's presence was non existent but she felt uneasy. It was as though she had a sixth sense inside her, alerting her of possible upcoming danger. 

Na Ri sat alone in silence for what felt like an eternity, just staring straight ahead at the whiteboard on the wall. Possible scenarios engulfed her mind but no positive outcome came from any of them. Her hands began to tremble and she bit down hard on the inside of her cheek to prevent her tears from spilling down her face. Na Ri was scared but she didn't want to admit it. One of her biggest fears had always been her past getting out but she refused to be scared anymore. Her shaking hands stilled before curling into tightly clenched fists. 

Her anxiousness converted to anger at herself. The past Na Ri would never be sitting in a classroom trying not to cry over possible 'what if' situations. Despite promising herself to not be that Na Ri anymore, she knew she needed to gain some of her past self back. 

The bell for class rang and the once quiet classroom quickly became filled with chattering students, all but Chan. Na Ri tried to ignore the fact that she felt a little disappointed when the teacher skipped over Chan's name in the attendance book, clearly noticing the student's absence too. 

Na Ri felt Bo Ra's eyes look her up and down from where she sat beside her. "You should eat lunch with us today. We haven't eaten together for a while." Bo Ra suggested, a fake smile plastered on her face. "I have study." Na Ri replied, not sparing the girl a single look.  

"But we're friends. Friends come first." Bo Ra whined, throwing a pouty face Na Ri's way. "Exams are soon. I'm behind in lessons." Na Ri said lifelessly, as though she had no energy to spare for the topic. "Please!  You won't regret it." Bo Ra persisted. Something about the glint in her eye made Na Ri curious so she nodded in agreement. Bo Ra looked out the nearby window to hide her smirk from Na Ri. 

"I know I definitely  won't anyway." She whispered to herself before turning back to Na Ri and forcing a smile her direction. 

The morning classes passed by slowly but one thing was for sure, Bo Ra couldn't wait for lunch time so when the lunch bell finally rang she quickly grabbed Na Ri's hand, pulling her to the cafeteria. "Na Ri!" Bo Ra's friends chorused from their seats around the table - all but one friend who was missing. "Where's Shi Won?" Na Ri questioned as the girls all smirked and nodded at one another, totally disregarding her question.