Chapter 29 - Kisses and Calls

Na Ri admired the way Chan smiled as his fingers gently pressed the keys on the keyboard in his room. She had never seem him look so at peace with himself as an unfamiliar tune played throughout the small room. His head lightly swayed from side to side and his foot tapped on the floor along to the beat while she sat on his bed, cheering him on in her head.

There was so many things she wanted to say to him, so many questions she wanted answers to but seeing his content face made her second guess her timing. She knew she couldn't avoid the real topic at hand forever but just a few more minutes of oblivious bliss were surely harmless, right? 

How was Na Ri to know that their little bliss was exactly that, a little bliss. The clock was ticking down the time till the destruct button would be activated and their lives would change forever.

"That's really pretty. What is it?" She asked once he stopped playing and turned his head in her direction, searching her features for a reaction. "It's called 'River Flows In You' by Yiruma. My sister liked the piece a lot so I learned how to play it for her." Chan explained, his once wide dimpled smile converting to a sad one filled with emotion. 

"You have a sister?" Na Ri enquired, shocked by this new information. "-And a brother. They went to live with our grandparents after reporters kept approaching them about me." Chan looked down at his lap for a moment, composing himself to face her again.  

Na Ri got up from her space on the bed and approached him, holding both her hands out in front of him to which he gladly took, allowing her to pull him up. He surprised her by wrapping his arms tightly around her body and swaying them back and forth.

"Chan, what are you doing?" She laughed at his sudden action, a warm bubbly feeling forming in her stomach. "What's it look like I'm doing? I'm holding you close to me." He replied nonchalantly, as though it was the most obvious reasoning in the world. His response knocked the bubbly feeling away and replaced it with worry. Chan felt her tensing under his touch and immediately pulled back, resting his hands on each of her shoulders, holding her firmly in his line of view.

"Na Ri?" He started with a frown, concern lacing his voice. "What's the matter?" He questioned, searching her eyes for any hint of a hidden emotion. "I wasn't going to mention anything but you're acting so different lately. I'm not complaining but is there something I should know?" Na Ri looked up at the boy who sighed and slipped his hand in hers, leading her to the bed where the pair sat down.

"I don't want to be this person anymore. I've realised that the only person that can save me is myself. I don't deserve a happy ending since I took In Ho's chance at one away but I'm selfish, I'll admit that. I feel like right here, right now with you, this is my one and only chance." Chan smiled at the girl who was staring at him fondly. 

She leaned forward and planted a quick kiss on his cheek before opening her bag and taking out the letter addressed to him. She knew that the timing was wrong but she didn't trust herself to ever give it to him if it wasn't now in this moment. 

"Read this when you're alone. I don't know what it says but it's probably better that way." She instructed and he nodded, taking it into his hand and scanning over the familiar cursive way his name was written. "In Ho." He whispered, running his fingers over the folded paper. 

"I can go now, if you'd prefer." She offered, starting to stand up to leave but he tossed the letter onto his pillow and reached out to take her hand, pulling her back beside him. "Don't go." He mumbled, looking down at her hand that fit perfectly in his. 

She followed his gaze to their interlocked fingers before looking back up at his face, their eyes meeting which caused both of their hearts to flutter in unison. Chan leaned in slowly as Na Ri's eyes shut, waiting to feel his soft lips on her's, causing a feeling she always craved since they shared their second kiss in the convenience store.