Chapter 22 - New Found Confidence

The only sound in the small store was Chan's rapid breathing as he stood over Kang Dae's body, intensely glaring at the older boy on the floor. "Should I call the police?" The cashier asked Na Ri, unsure of what was happening in the normally quiet building. She shook her head and waved him off, letting him know it was nothing to be concerned about before she headed for the door, not bothering to question Chan or Kang Dae about the recent incident. 

She opened the door and left, heading out into the dimly lit streets surrounding her house. Moments later she heard the door open and close behind her, signalling her of an unwelcome presence. She decided that continuing on her journey home without a second glance back was the best thing to do. She didn't want to acknowledge whoever had followed her out in case it was Chan. She was beginning to notice that every second spent with him made her like him more and that was something she refused to do. Na Ri had always been somewhat proud of the fact that she'd never had feelings for any guy she'd ever came into contact with. All her pointless one night stands and random flings with boys she barely knew were simply that and nothing else. 

"Na Ri!" A voice yelled from behind her. She instantly noted that it was Chan's, causing her to shut her eyes tight and let out a deep breath before she whipped around to face him with a fake smile. She couldn't let him know that he was causing her frustration just by him invading her thoughts. 

"Yes?" She asked sweetly but avoided making eye contact, looking anywhere but at him. She didn't want to feel her heart pounding against her chest once her eyes landed on him. "Are you o-okay?" His cheeks burned bright red and he stared down at his feet. His hand reached up to rub the back of his neck whilst he swayed from side to side, clearly feeling shy. It wasn't like him to act this way towards anybody and the feeling of protectiveness was new to him. He didn't know what was happening to him. He always had a short temper but when it came to her, he wasn't in control of himself at all. Chan had always put his feelings down as appreciation for her kindness but it didn't feel like that was the real reason anymore.

"You're asking me if I'm okay?" She scoffed at him, finding his question ironic. He nodded and moved forward to stand closer to her. She took small steps backwards, ensuring distance between them both as to not get caught up in her feelings. "You just punched your  weirdo friend and you're asking me if I'm okay? I should be asking you that!" Na Ri poked his chest, forcing him to step back. "Forget me. Are you alright?" He repeated, eyeing her up and down while looking for a wound that didn't exist . "He didn't do anything else, right? He didn't touch you anywhere else, right?" Chan continued, stepping closer and closer to her.

"Chan! I'm fine. Relax." She let out a forced laugh to hide her nervousness. She wasn't sure why but with each step closer to her he took she felt as though her heart would rip through her chest. "I'm glad." He smiled down at his black shoes. "Was that necessary anyway? It was only a hug and I can handle myself. You're my tutor not my boyf-bodyguard." Na Ri quickly corrected herself. 

"W-well I-" He stammered but forming a coherent sentence was proving difficult. Despite Na Ri's statement being factual he couldn't pretend that his stomach didn't drop at her words. "I don't want you to talk to Kang Dae or Jungsoo. I don't trust them, Na Ri." Chan admitted. He felt vulnerable telling her this but he knew he couldn't go around punching them both every time they were near her. 

She opened her mouth to question him but he placed his hand over her mouth to stop her. "My shift is starting now. Please just think about what I said." Chan removed his hand and took a step back, smiling and waving at her before disappearing inside the store. Seconds later Kang Dae, who had been watching the scene between the two outside unfold from the shop window, stepped out onto the street.