Chapter 23 - Feeling Faded?

Bo Ra couldn't wipe the smirk from her face as she hit send on the photo she'd taken last night thanks to the oblivious Kang Dae. Within seconds the class group chat had began to gossip about the pair in the picture. Bo Ra stared down at the small screen that was blowing up with negative remarks regarding the kissing teenagers in the picture. "Stupid girl." She tutted at Na Ri's picture.

Bo Ra felt betrayed as well as angry by Na Ri's action. Why should Chan receive a source of happiness? Happiness only gave Chan hope and that scared Bo Ra. Chan was the only person who had the potential to ruin Bo Ra's reputation and that was something she refused to allow. Breaking him down so he felt small was the only way to prevent him from destroying the perfect illusion she had created for herself.

She felt content with how her plans were coming along. It had never been Bo Ra's goal to target Na Ri too but she was becoming a threat and Bo Ra refused to take her chances on losing her 'perfect student' image. She was determined that nobody would ever find out the truth surrounding In Ho and what really happened the night he died.

"Morning." Her father planted a kiss on her forehead as he walked past to get juice from the fridge. She quickly locked her phone screen and shoved the device in her back pocket before placing her signature smile on her face. "Good morning." She replied innocently, as though she could do no wrong. Little did he know, his precious daughter had a plan that would ensure her secret never got out.

"I still think I'm doing it right and you're just deliberately marking it wrong." Na Ri huffed as Chan scrunched up her answer sheet. "Yes, I deliberately enjoy wasting my time for little pay." He rolled his eyes at her remark as he threw the paper into her open school bag. "This isn't working out." She grumbled, tossing her maths book to the side of the blanket they were sitting on. "You're telling me!" He scoffed as he gazed at the couple holding hands in the distance.

"I give up." She groaned before laying down on the blanket and looking up at a surprisingly blue Saturday sky. Moments later Chan laid beside her admiring the clouds floating above them. "I believe in you." He muttered, feeling foolish in that moment. She turned to face him with a wide smile on her face. "Really?" She exclaimed, a flash of hope in her eye. "Mhm." He mumbled while closing his eyes. Na Ri didn't reply, deciding that now was her best chance to admire his features up close. She watched as the sunlight painted shadows over his face, his true beauty never failing to captivate her.

She leaned closer, hovering over his face as her apprehensiveness grew. She wanted to kiss him but after their kiss the night before she wasn't sure what this meant for them. Were they a couple? Did he actually like her? Did she even like him?

Her endless inner thoughts were cut off by Chan who lifted his head up so their lips met. They touched briefly before he moved away to return to his previous position, adding to her confusion. The small smile on his face tugged at her heartstrings. The pounding in her chest echoed through her eardrums so loud that she was nearly positive Chan could hear it too.

"I think I should tell you the truth." Chan suddenly announced, arising nervousness within the two of them. "A-about?" She stammered as thoughts of different scenarios played in her head. "October 14th and December 31st." He replied, his eyes still shut tight but his smile fading to a frown.

Na Ri wasn't sure why but she didn't want him to tell her. She knew that finding the truth had always been her main objective and yet, now that the time was here, she'd rather remain in the dark. Guilt coursed through her body, quickly replacing the confusion she held just seconds before. Caring for Chan had never been a part of her deal with Jungsoo but then again, neither had it been her intention for herself.

Chan sat up, raising his hand to cover his eyes, blocking the sun from blinding him. He extended out his free hand, offering to pull her body up from its relaxed position on the blanket. She slipped her hand in his, allowing him to pull her to sit up and face him. "Just-just don't say anything, okay? Please let me finish." Desperation was laced throughout his tone and his grip on her hand tightened, as though he were afraid to let go of her in fear of losing her.