Chapter 7 - Damsel in distress

"Right guys, so the list of names for the different studies will be placed on the bulletin board outside room 4. Please check it soon as study will begin on Monday." The homeroom teacher  announced before closing her book and shuffling out of the classroom seconds before the bell rang. Na Ri slung her bag onto her back and tried to hide her smile as she noticed Chan watching her. What she didn't realise was that he was not watching her but in fact the girl beside her, Bo Ra. 

Chan couldn't help the slight pang in his heart as he admired her smiling face.  He'd always thought she was easily the most attractive girl he'd ever seen and yet he'd barely ever held a conversation with her. Just looking at her made him totally oblivious to the stares and whispers surrounding him and his bruised face. 

"I see the rumours are true." Bo Ra whispered to Na Ri as they left to head for their first class on Friday's timetable. "I hope Jungsoo's face looks worse." Na Ri aired unexpectedly. She hadn't meant to share her inner thought but it was a bad habit of hers. Bo Ra's face contorted into a look of horror at Na Ri's remark about the popular boy. 

"Na Ri, are you blind? He's one of the best looking guys at this school! Why would you want his amazing face all battered and cut?" She scoffed, feeling deeply offended about the comment that wasn't even about her. "Sorry, I guess he just seems a bit..." Na Ri began but quickly stopped as the subject of their conversation walked past, sending a small smile in the girl's direction. They both took in his cut eyebrow and bruised cheek that stood out against his pale complexion but somehow it made him look more attractive. Bo Ra's mouth hung open a little as he walked by and over to his friends, causing Na Ri to laugh. "Close your mouth, you'll attract flies." She teased while linking arms with her, dragging her down the hallway to their first class.

Chan felt the blood in his body boil as he overheard Na Ri and Bo Ra's conversation about Jungsoo. Chan hated Jungsoo more than anything else on the planet. Jungsoo and Chan had never gotten on well. The pair had a rivalry dating back from three years ago when Chan won the captaincy spot on the soccer team. Chan hated that Jungsoo would mess with girl's feelings and he hated even more that In Ho became a different person around Jungsoo. 

Chan sat in his seat alone at the back of Geography class while Bo Ra and Na Ri sat in the front beside the window, chatting happily amongst themselves before the teacher arrives. He laid his head down on the table and closed his eyes replaying yesterday's conversation with his dad.

flashback

"Why did you have to do it Chan? Why did you really kill your best friend?"  

Chan froze on the spot as memories of that night played over, images of In Ho's lifeless body laying sprawled on the ground flashed through his mind. He swallowed the lump in his throat as he fought the tears threatening to spill. Chan had never told anybody the full story of that night and he hoped he'd never have to. Only three people know the truth about that night and yet one of them is dead. 

"I didn't know he'd die. I just-I thought I was helping." Chan uttered as he lowered his head. Chan's dad nodded, urging his son to continue. He'd always wondered what really happened that night to paint his son as a murderer but there was never enough evidence to point it to Chan officially. Chan fumbled with his fingers as he waiting for the words to leave his mouth. 

"I thought In Ho was going to cause trouble." Chan continued with a gulp. He wanted nothing more than to erase the look on In Ho's face as he fell to his death, desperately reaching out for a platform to grasp onto that didn't exist. Chan had never received a criminal punishment but the never ending image of In Ho's terrified expression seemed much worse than any punishment the law could ever give him.