Chapter 34 - Fading

"Then what about you, Bang Chan. What's your past story with In Ho?"

Chan froze at her words, not because he didn't know how to answer but because he had plans on how he'd confess his wrongdoings to her. This wasn't right. This wasn't how this was supposed to happen.

Na Ri eyed the quiet boy carefully, looking for a clear sign of his emotions but his face was a blank canvas, no sign of any feelings whatsoever. She fought back the anxiousness that arose within her, not wanting to jump to conclusions on his state of mind.

She'd expected a hint of sadness or maybe even anger but was met with an emotionless Chan, which to her was much more concerning.

"Are you o-" She began but he quickly cut her off. "I'm fine. Don't bring that up yet, Na Ri."

He didn't mean for it to sound so snappy and rude but Na Ri could tell by his regretful expression that it wasn't his intention. The pair fell silent as the awkward tension grew, neither knowing what to say to regain their normal calm composure.

Chan felt like telling Na Ri everything, starting from his failed friendship with In Ho and his unrequited love for Bo Ra but he didn't want to spoil his future plans yet. He was determined that Na Ri would find out only when he had the right words to say to fit the story.

"We should probably go and see if dinner's ready now." He eyed her up and down, ensuring to pay close attention to every detail of her frowning face. He hated seeing the frown on her face but not more than hating the fact that he placed it there.

She looked up and nodded slowly, a small fake smile forming across her face. She could tell he was trying to divert her attention away from the slightly awkward vibe and for that she was grateful despite feeling as though there was so much she had yet to know.

If only Na Ri and Chan had realised that the clock was counting down the final hours of their time together.

"Hello, Mrs Bang." Na Ri greeted with a bow, feeling slightly regretful for her and Chan being caught in a vulnerable moment. The two females cheeks' burned a deep shade of red as they all sat around the table in awkward silence. Chan found the ordeal to be rather humours, small chuckles threatening to erupt from his side of the table but luckily the sound of the front door opening and closing averted their attention.

"Oh, hello there." Mr Bang greeted Na Ri, a look of surprise on his face. He smiled at his oldest son, noticing his usual frown was nowhere to be seen. "You must be Na Ri." Chan's father sat beside his wife, sending a warm and welcoming smile Na Ri's way. Na Ri felt slightly uncomfortable but she tried her best to hide it, not wanting them to sense her uneasiness. She'd always wished she were a brave person, fearless and strong in every way possible but that was far from the truth.

"Yeah, I'm a fri-" She started but Chan cut in, ending her introduction before it had even really began. "She's my girlfriend. I told you she exists." Chan stated proudly, his dimples showing. His parents sent wide smiles at one another, sharing their happiness for him. There had been many sleepless nights in the Bang household, their worry for their eldest child's future a never ending cycle, so to see him smiling happily, even if just for a short while, eased their doubts.

Na Ri blushed and concentrated on her chopsticks that were placed beside her bowl, waiting to be used. Chan slid his hand under the table, placing it onto her knee and giving her a reassuring squeeze. He found her sudden shyness to be cute but he wanted her to feel at home.

Their eyes met the moment she felt his hand on her knee, sending a course of euphoria to run through her veins at his slightest touch. Her heart beat fast as the background seemed to fade away, Chan being all she could see. It was in that moment she realised the true extent of her own feelings. Na Ri was in love.