Chapter 30 - Scolding and Exposing

"I can't believe I have to even have this conversation with you, Na Ri! You should know so much better than this by now! Didn't you learn anything from Daegu or London?" Her father spat at her, his arms folded across his chest as he glared down at her. 

She looked down at her wet shoes as she felt his eyes shoot daggers at her from where she sat on the sofa, his large frame towering over her with a large wave of intimidation. She couldn't find the words to say that would reassure him that she was trying to change because she knew that nothing she said would justify her actions. 

"I just don't know what I'm supposed to do! Where can we go from here? I'm trying so hard to make life easier for you but you just complicate things for yourself!" He ran his hand over his face before heavily sighing and taking a seat beside his only daughter. 

"I'm only like this now because I care about you." He slung an arm around her shoulder and pulled her into his chest. "Na Ri, I want what's best for you and your brother. He's doing so well in England, why can't you try as hard as him?" 

Na Ri felt anger bubble inside of her, the mention of her younger brother irritating her. She pushed her dad away and shot up, standing in front of him with a cold glare in her eyes. 

"When are you going to realise that I'm not him! It gets tiring, y'know! Constant comparison about what I could and should have been! I'm sorry that I cause trouble and that my grades are nowhere near Daehyun's! I didn't move away from Mum just to hear the same crap from you!" She raised her voice at the surprised man. He'd always known Na Ri to have a temper but having lived away from her for nearly three years definitely impacted their relationship negatively. 

"Don't you dare yell at me! Do you know just how embarrassing it is for me to get called out of work to attend your school because you've been ditching it with some boy! Is that where you were just now, with that boy?" He yelled at her, standing up and waving his finger in her direction. Na Ri froze at the mention of Jungsoo. She didn't want him to get into trouble because of her but then again, he was the vice principal's son so if anyone had a better outcome here it was him. Her silence confirmed his thoughts and he turned away from her for a moment to collect his thoughts before turning back around to face her.

"Not only do I find that out, but you've been hanging around with that Chan kid too! Are you trying to disappoint me? He's not good for you, Na Ri. He's trouble and so are you and when you mix trouble with more trouble the end result is never going to be good." Her father took a deep breath while she stood, stunned. Not only had Jungsoo been dragged into this but now Chan too. 

She opened her mouth to speak but her father held up his hand to silence her. "Don't defend him! I've lived here a lot longer than you, Na Ri! I know what he was accused of and I don't want that influence around you anymore. I'm just looking out for you. It's better this way." He turned his back to walk away from her, sensing that she was about to cry and not wanting to feel sorry for her. 

"Better for who? You or me?" Her voice was strong and clear despite feeling as though she may erupt into tears at any second. He stopped dead in his tracks, thinking about a suitable reply before deciding against it and leaving the room. He didn't want to worsen the situation which was quickly getting out of hand. 

She breathed heavily, desperate to control her emotions. She didn't want to be that same girl that shouted and screamed and cried to get her way. She needed now more than ever to prove that she was indeed improving for her sake and Chan's too. Maybe if her dad saw how she matured he'd trust her judgement on Chan and just leave them be.

With a quick roll of her eyes and a large release of breath she walked upstairs and decided to shower, letting the water wash away her concerns. 

"She's pretty." Chan's mother said with a smile as she brought her mug of coffee to her lips. "Yeah, she is. Isn't she?" He replied proudly, taking a seat beside her at the kitchen table. His mother was pleased to see the change in her oldest son but she couldn't rid herself of the feeling that this was just temporary. She had firsthand witnessed how happy the young girl made her son but it wasn't fair to rely on her to keep him happy and she wanted to ensure that he knew that.