Chapter 4 - Confession?

"We should do something together this weekend." Bo Ra suggested as the class all took their seats, patiently waiting for their names to be called for attendance. "Yeah, sure. I still need to get to know the area anyway." Na Ri replied. She'd been living with her dad now for about two weeks but other than going to school and then back to her dad's she hadn't been anywhere else. "Consider me your personal tour guide!" She cheered. Na Ri had quickly learned that Bo Ra loved being in control. It was almost as if she felt a surge of importance when she was in control of a situation. 

"What do you think of it here anyway? I hope everyone's been nice!" Bo Ra enquired, worry lacing her tone. "Everyone's very accommodating so I enjoy it here." Na Ri answered truthfully. She was very grateful that all the students were friendly towards her, all except one who was currently resting his head on the table pretending to be napping.

Na Ri gazed back at the quiet boy wistfully. Other than that day on the roof she hadn't had any other form of contact with him. She couldn't help but wonder what was running through his thoughts. She didn't know just how lucky she was that she couldn't read his mind which was rarely filled with pleasant thoughts. Chan could feel her eyes on him but he didn't react. He figured she'd eventually give up on him, just like everybody else when they heard the full extent of the rumours surrounding him. 

"Morning guys!" The teacher calling attendance greeted warmly only to have a chorus of groans and incoherent words as a reply. She rolled her eyes but chuckled at her class before quickly glancing at the one student she worried the most about. Bang Chan. 

She turned her attention away from him so fast it was as if she hadn't spared a look at him at all. She pulled her book of student's names out and began calling them one by one, occasionally smiling up at a few of her students. Once she was done with calling the roll she clapped her hands together and stood up straight at the front of the room.

"Can I have your attention please?" She cleared her throat and paused for a second before continuing. "As you all know, exams are coming up soon. I really hope for your own sake you will take this seriously and study hard. There will be study sessions commencing at lunch and for two hours before and after school for all interested in going. I really hope you all take this oppor-" She started but was cut off by the bell. Students picked up their bags in a rush and left the room, heading to where their next classes are. "The sign up sheets are on my table." She shouted over the noisy teenagers. 

"Are you going to sign up?" Na Ri asked Bo Ra. "I'll sign up for before school study but after school I have tutoring so I won't be able to make it and honestly, who wants to spend lunch studying?" Bo Ra answered. Na Ri nodded, thinking over what Bo Ra had said before deciding she would sign up for study during lunch since most people would probably share Bo Ra's view. Bo Ra signed her name beside the before school study section before passing the pen to Na Ri and leaving for her class.

Na Ri signed her name next to her chosen option before turning around to pass the pen to whoever was behind her only to bang straight into someone's chest. "Oh, s-sorry!" She stuttered as her cheeks burned red from embarrassment. The pen was roughly grabbed from her grip before she could even back away from the body. She was lightly pushed backwards by the impatient person only to realize it was none other than Chan. 

Chan tried his hardest to remain emotionless at the sudden contact but he felt his cheeks heat up. He looked her up and down as she repeatedly bowed apologetically. He scoffed and turned around to scribble his name beside lunch time study, desperately hoping that when he turns around again she'll be gone. As if his prayers were finally answered for once in his life she was nowhere to be seen when he turned around. He sighed in relief at the empty classroom before adjusting the strap on his shoulder and exiting to go to his first lesson, maths. 

Chan had always excelled at many of his subjects, maths being one of them. In fact, before he was the most hated boy at school he used to tutor some younger students in maths and English. 'An easy way to money' he had always thought. Nowadays, his income relied upon how many school days he could miss to do odd maintenance jobs around the area and the local convenience store when they were short staffed. 

Once the bell for lunch signalled he rushed to his hideout, the rooftop. Sometimes he liked to just lay on the bench, chewing his sandwich while desperately wishing he could fade away as easily as the stars do when it's bright. He was surprised to see somebody already sitting on the bench cross-legged while looking up at the sky.

"You've got to be kidding me!" He seethed while debating on leaving or pushing her off of the bench.  "You're here!" Na Ri exclaimed, getting up once she noticed his presence. "Now who's stalking?" He bellowed while she stood up with a smile, only adding to his irritation. "Are you obsessed with me or something!" Chan yelled at Na Ri who began fumbling with her fingers, beginning to regret her attempt at befriending him. "Well? Say something!" He continued as she remained silent. 

"Sorry, I guess. I just wanted somewhere quiet to sit and think." She lied. She would never admit to him that she came to see him. "Oh." Chan felt embarrassed. "Continue then." He added while reaching for the door handle to leave. He felt her grip on the back of his uniform jumper, preventing him from taking another step. "Stay." She said so quietly it was nearly a whisper. She was surprised she'd even got him to speak to her let alone stay this long with her. 

"Let go!" He demanded roughly, his gaze never leaving the door. She complied and released her grip, expecting him to take his leave but instead he walked to the bench and sat down. 

"Aren't your friends  wondering where you are?" He asked coldly as she sat on the bench but left space between them. "I told them I was busy." She replied. "Why lie?" Chan enquired, feeling curious as to her motives. "Didn't feel like listening to gossip, I guess." She looked down nervously at her lap. She really didn't want to say something that would make him stop talking to her. "You've heard the rumours then?" Chan rolled his eyes while kicking at the ground. Na Ri nodded, confirming Chan's thoughts. "And you're not scared?" He challenged. "Should I be?" She fired back. She was surprised when he laughed, it was such a beautiful sound. She had never expected that sound to come out of him.

"I'm glad I amuse you." Na Ri announced as she folded her arms across her chest. "Don't flatter yourself. I just think you're stupid. If you know what I did then why are you here?" He retorted. She froze. Is this a confession? Did he just admit he murdered someone? He smirked at her silence, feeling pleased with the reaction he received. 

"Surprised right?" He stood up and faced her, towering over her small body. "Well guess what, Na Ri!" He squatted down to reach her level before continuing. "What if I really did kill my best friend?"

______

I feel like I update this too frequently but then again - when school kicks in again it'll probably only be a weekly thing. Anyway, thank you for the support so far. Gif is Na Ri's reaction to the last scene.