A Need For Answers

Ella attempted to gather her wits and ran to her refuge: the library. She had been there countless times to study, but this time she was on a mission.

The girl pushed the doors open with a grunt and stepped into the well lit room. Books lined the area from floor to ceiling with hanging ladders that were enchanted to move on command. Ella ran her finger over the covers of the texts until she found a large green one toward the end of aisle 8. Ella pulled it out, holding back the bubble of panic. In stern silver letters the title was printed: A Complete Guide To Purebloods Through The Ages. She had heard of the Blacks before of course, Sirius Black was imprisoned in Azkaban as a murderer, and who her parents didn't like to speak of. Well who I thought were my parents, Ella thought sadly. She flung open the cover and went along the table of contents until she found Chapter 5: A Black Family Tree. Hurriedly flipping to the page she took a deep breath and scrunched her eyes, prepared for whatever lay in wait.

She could be anywhere, Ella thought. All she knew was that her family had said she was out of her time. Starting at the very top with the oldest members, she hoped she wasn't that far removed. Her fingers shaking she went over name after name until she reached Bellatrix and Narcissa Black. Next to their names was an unfamiliar sister with a missing death date: Elizabeth Black.

Ella whimpered slightly, her name had to be Ella for a reason and they sounded awfully alike. She read underneath the name "see page 204." She rushed through the paper and dived into what looked to be a newspaper clipping.

"Elizabeth Black, Daughter of John and Mae Black has disappeared. This 8 year old was last seen at the Black residence in the afternoon on November 16th, which coincidentally was her birthday. Not much is to be said about her mysterious whereabouts though there are rumors swirling about You-Know-Who's involvement. One source says "the Black family is notorious for meddling in dark things, who knows what happened to the girl. She could be anywhere."

When questioned Albus Dumbledore, Headmaster of Hogwarts, assured the public "we are making all effort to ensure her safety and return."

Elizabeth Black, affectionately called "Golden Girl" is younger sister to Narcissa Black and twin to Bellatrix Black as well as cousin to Sirius and Regulus Black. "She's a very bright and bubbly girl," was the only comment by the family, who seemed uncharacteristically distraught and emotional. A high reward is offered for any information surrounding her disappearance."

Below was a picture of a golden haired girl, smiling brightly with a mischievous twinkle in her green eyes.

Elizabeth slammed the book shut. This was her. She desperately needed answers. Now. Ignoring the temptation to have a panic attack, she dashed upstairs to her family's fireplace while dodging the fancy furniture. Her mother and father were in the room now, they never left the Floo network unguarded.

Ella tried to enter the room with calm dignity, but her parents were aurors and could detect her frazzled energy.

"Ella, what's wrong?" Doris darted forward grabbing her daughter's arm. Her eyes widened when her daughter flinched back at the contact.

Henry surveyed Ella carefully, a weary expression settling on his face. "You heard us, didn't you Ella?"

"Who.. who am I?" Ella looked up with large eyes.

"Oh El," her adoptive mother began.

"It's fine," Ella bit her lip. "I just can't believe I've been lied to for so long." She looked up "There's got to be good reason?"

A odd expression crossed Mr.Vine's face briefly. "You'll make a great interrogator someday." He handed her a small pot filled with fine powder. "I think it's best for you to see Dumbledore."

Ella took the Floo powder in her palm and ducked into the marble fireplace.

"Do you want us.."

"This is something she's got to face alone Dori," Henry pressed his wife.

Ella gave a weak smile before croaking "Headmaster's, Hogwarts!" With a roar the flames surrounding her small body and the girl disappeared.

(EDITED 7/23/18)