One Becomes Two

Ella made her way down the dark hallway of another frigid manor, her heels clacking on marble. She had once again donned her black dress and mask for the latest Death Eater meeting. As the girl stepped into the drawing room, she slid inconspicuously in her seat and listened intently. It was very similar to the first and everyone sat in uncomfortable silence as Voldemort hissed threats.

"Stay alert. Don't forget of what becomes those who disobey," were the dark wizard's parting words before he swished his cloak menacingly and exited.

Ella stood and trodded carefully around the dispersing hooded figures. She felt waves of exasperation and defeat pressing in, there don't seem to be much of a purpose in what she was doing as of late. The girl shook her shoulders and tried combating the brooding mood with her memory of Severus and Lily talking again a few days ago for the first time. She had hid behind a tree as she spied on the two, it had been awkward, but both had left with small smiles on their faces. Ella was picturing the image in her mind when someone grabbed her arm and yanked her into a side room.

Ella whipped out her wand with a hiss and faced her attacker before blinking in shock. Bellatrix had her wand pointed at her, her face glowing menacingly in the faint light.

"Who are you?" the dark haired witch spat. With a wave of her wand, Ella's mask fell away before Ella had the chance to block it. Bellatrix gasped and took a step back. "Connelly, the mudblood?" her eyes narrowed. "I thought you seemed familiar. Spy!"

Ella's eyes widened as her twin raised a finger to her forearm and before she could make contact with the skull, Ella waved her wand and sent her flying against the wall, pinning her there firmly.

"Wait Bells," Ella breathed. "I can explain." Bellatrix froze and Ella stiffened as she realized her mistake. Bells was a nickname in her childhood, no one but family called her that anymore.

Bellatrix waved her hand sharply and sent a bookshelf flying Ella's way. Ella stopped it and quickly muttered "Muffliato!" to prevent anyone hearing their combat. She flicked her wand, dimming the lamps.

"Sneaky, aren't we?" Bella hissed before retaliating with a well placed curse. Ella whipped her wand, blocking the spell and sending one of her own.

The witches exchanged jinxes and curses, the lights bouncing off the walls. Ella ducked under a desk before crying "Immobulus!" Bellatrix went stiff, her eyes darting fiercely. As her mind raced, Ella conjured ropes and made sure they would hold her sister before releasing the spell. She faintly noticed her hands were shaking.

Bellatrix strained at the knots. "Trait..oro...us mud..blood," she snarled.

Ella raised a hand, "Please, wait. I'm spying for V..the Dark.."

"And you have the insolence to lie to my face," Bellatrix spat. "I'm not stupid, you almost dared to use his name."

Ella bit the inside of her cheek, she didn't think she could get out of this one. Keeping her eyes trained on her twin, she released the Disillusionment charms altering appearance and revealed her true golden curls and green eyes. Here it goes. "Hey Bells," she tried softly.

Bellatrix eyes widened and she didn't breathe. "Ellie?" she muttered.

"Yeah," Ella began carefully. Her sister was too quiet. "I have a lot.."

"You left." Bellatrix stated in an eerie whisper. Her voice grew with a snarl "YOU LEFT ELIZABETH!" Ella flinched. "Mum and Dad were DEVASTATED. We've been searching for YEARS and finally gave up and you turn up with "hey" disguised as a MUDBLOOD?" She breathed. "I treated you like scum and you deserve it anyway." Ella shrank back and an unknown emotion flashed in her sister's eyes "I want answers now."

Ella released Bella from her bonds with a wide gaze. Her sister rubbed her wrists harshly, signaling for her to continue. Ella carefully looked at her as she drew a shaky breath. "I was in the house the day I disappeared."

Bella sneered "Obviously." She lifted her chin. "I was there."

Ella blinked softly "I remember." There was a pause before she continued. "Voldemort sent a Death Eater to bring me to him so he could dispose of me but Dumbledore found me and thought I would be safer if.." Ella rushed the next part as Bella shifted impatiently. "He sent me forward in time, about 20 years." Silence. "I grew up, learning what I could. At the end of my 6th year, Death Eaters invaded the castle and I drank a potion that sent me here and restored the memories I had of our previous life. And here I am." She gazed at her sister longingly.

Bella was quiet for a long time. "Guess I can't turn my sister in, even if she is a betrayer to Slytherin." She laughed hollowly, "not to mention her family."

Ella flinched and she raised an eyebrow. "You still have a lot to spill."

Ella nodded. "I know. I'll tell you what I can." She stepped forward, but Bellatrix held up a hand.

"Watch your step. And I think I deserve to know everything."

"You do." Ella sat in surrender, feeling much like Dumbledore when he had explained to her. Randomly, she searched the titles of the books on the desk with displeasure. They were rather horrifying.

Bellatrix eyed the Dark Mark prominent on her sister's arm. "How did you get it?" For the first time, Ella heard her voice soften the slightest degree.

"A boy I knew was given a deadly job by Voldemort. I wanted to protect him and getting this mark was how I could stay close." She traced the outline before resolving to give her sister a detail. Her eyes glimmered. "Guess who it was.." Bellatrix looked indifferent. "Cissy's son."

Bellatrix's mouth fell open and she began to laugh, a sound foreign to Ella's ears. "Let me guess: Malfoy's child?" she scoffed. Her sister just winked. "Cissy has always been too good for the bloke."

Ella grinned. "Can't say I disagree." She stood and stuck out her hand. Bellatrix stiffened and eyed it. "Please Bella," Ella begged. "Just a handshake."

Bella took her hand warily and locked their fingers together. A faint glow emitted from their intertwined hands and Bellatrix quickly dropped hers as Ella stared at it curiously.

"One more thing Elizabeth," Bellatrix raised an eyebrow and Ella was remedied of how convincing she was as a child. "Show some respect for Slytherin. It is your roots."

Ella snorted cautiously. "I'll try if they respect me."

"Spoken like a true Black," Bella commended. "Do drop the Mud.."

"They can like me whatever my blood status," Ella said firmly ignoring her sister's displeasure. Then she gave the trademark Black smirk. "I do need a teacher to guide me back to proper etiquette however. I've forgotten our manner lessons."

"I'm still furious with you," Bellatrix pointed out plainly before she grabbed her sister's arm tightly, pulling her toward the door. "Come along dear student."

"Nothing too rash Bella!" Ella's eyes lit with alarm and she dug her heels into the rug.

"Don't be such a coward," it was Bellatrix's turn to smirk. "After all, don't you and our fool of a cousin pride yourselves on daring nerve?"

(EDITED 7/25/18)