An Unassuming Book

Ella made her way down the grim hall of Malfoy Manor, Bellatrix a careful few feet in front of her. Voldemort had ushered them out quickly after warning them to be on guard and be "prepared to be of service." Ella was immensely relieved when he left, now they could find the Horcrux without its owner lurking around.

As they walked she carefully observed the ornate mirrors and artifacts perched on the wall. Gold and silver seemed to gleam from every corner. No wonder Draco was so spoiled.

Bellatrix paused and entered a side room, and she quickly followed. Once inside, Ella went rigid.

Narcissa Black stood observing the drawing room, her long blonde hair gracefully tumbling down her back. Her older sister quietly bowed her head and seemed to instruct the housekeeper on the dishes before dismissing them.

"Cissy!" Bella cried before motioning for Ella to cast enchantments to keep their meeting a secret. Ella swished her wand, muttering different spells while Narcissa watched her warily. Once she finished, Narcissa turned.

"Bella," she greeted with a hint of warmth. "For what do I owe this unusual meeting?" Her gaze swept over Ella carefully and Ella resisted the urge to shrink back.

Bellatrix nodded at Ella. "This is Charlotte Vanderwood, an acquaintance I have made. We are on a mission for some precious artifact."

Narcissa dipped her head. "And why do you need my help?"

"We are looking for a diary of some sort."

Narcissa's eyes darkened and the room grew cold. She knew something. "For what purpose?"

"You know as well as I that that information is confidential," Bellatrix rehorted darkly, peering at her elder sister with an eager look. "We would like to speak with Lucius."

Narcissa scanned her face before sighing. "Alright." She paused before she left, meeting Bella's gaze. "I must warn you to be careful sister, you do not understand what you are meddling with." Her gaze hardened. "You are not to hurt him." She eyed Ella once more with a calculating glare before making an exit.

Ella's shoulders fell. "She's intense," she breathed.

Bellatrix raised an eyebrow. "Cissy's become more cold than you remember. It's necessary when you're in the position she is."

Ella gazed at the spot where her older sister stood. "I never realized she cared for Lucius so much."

"There's a lot you don't know."

Bella's words hung in the air before a man with a blonde ponytail briskly strutted in. Ella suppressed a faint smile as she recognized the younger Malfoy. A familiar sneer twisted his face, one she had seen many times on his future son.

"How may I help you?" he spoke stiffly.

"I believe Cissy has told you have what we seek," Bellatrix responded coolly.

"Yes, and I'm afraid that information is secret. It's between solely the Dark Lord and myself," Lucius puffed out his chest a little.

Bellatrix's hand twitched toward her wand, but Ella was quicker. "Stupefy!" Lucius Malfoy dropped to the ground. Ella quickly rushed over and pressed her hand against his forehead, using Legilimency to reveal his memories.

They were in the Malfoy library surrounded by towering shelves of books, the titles gleaming on the spines.

Tom Riddle stood before the blonde. "I want you to keep this safe, it is very important."

"Yes, my lord," Lucius responded.

Tom removed a book from the shelf. "The Sacred 28" shone on the cover in curling script. "Only a member of one of the pureblood families will be able to access it."

Lucius hesitated and Tom smirked. "Seems too easy to take, does it?" His eyes flashed. "Once one lays a hand on this book, they will be cursed with the mark of a traitor. They will be tormented with nightmares and hallucinations of their worst fears and this simple object will draw them closer to Lord Voldemort until," his voiced dropped. "They return the book to my hands and I watch the life leave their eyes."

Ella pulled out of Lucius' mind, shaking. Bellatrix stared at her questioningly but Ella simply aimed her wand at the wizard. "Obliviate," the whispered words floated on the air. Ella twisted her wand and wiped his memory of being stunned, shortening it to when he told them they couldn't have the diary. She propped the man up against the ornate table "Rennervate." Lucius opened his eyes.

"It's rather unfortunate," Ella steadied her voice. "That you won't tell us the location of a simple book?"

Lucius brushed his suit diplomatically. "I'm afraid I'm sworn to secrecy. Now, if you'll excuse me," he nodded briskly to Bellatrix before exiting.

Bellatrix stared at Ella before giving a chilling chuckle. "Well that was brutal sis."

Ella shook herself, clenching her hands. "I did what I had to. We have a mission." She turned and headed to the library.

Bellatrix seemed to sense she wasn't going to talk so they made their way silently to the bookshelf Ella saw in the memory. The glistening shelves seem to taunt her with the knowledge of the evil they held. Ella stood staring at The Sacred 28 numbly before turning to Bellatrix. "This book is cursed. Make sure I never try to return it."

Bellatrix nodded briskly, only a brief flash of unease in her eyes when Ella asked her to soundproof the room. Ella reached forward and quickly grabbed the book. The effect was instantaneous. She screamed as a burn raced up her hand, heating her whole body. Collapsing to her knees, she gasped, desperately waiting for the pain to subside. Wave after wave of pain flowed through her when, just as she thought she might pass out, it finally began to recede, leaving a pricking in her arm. Ella opened her eyes, gasping, and tears ran down her face as she gazed at her hand. What was once pale skin was marred with an ugly, obsidian cut that simply read "traitor."

Ella pushed herself shakily to her feet, every nerve in her body protesting. Bella took her hand and Ella looked up at her sister. For the first time Bellatrix appeared truly horrified and, to her shock, Ella saw a faint mist clouding her eyes. Ella wrapped her arms around her twin in a hug, leaning on her heavily, and stuffed the diary into her bag. "We have to go," her voice was a hoarse whisper.

Ella tried to stop her knees from shaking as the sisters made their way back through the manor.

"Travers," Bellatrix nodded stiffly at a hooded figure as they approached the entrance.

Ella did her best to respond, acting dignified until they finally reached the woods once again. Wordlessly she locked hands with her sister and the two disapparated away while the deadly book seemed to burn a hole against her side.

(EDITED 7/26/18)