Brief Return

Ella sat on the floor of their makeshift safe house, twisting her hair into braids. Bellatrix slouched on the other side of the room, flipping a dagger in her hand murderously as she scanned a textbook. Ella eyed the blade warily, it reminded her of the future too well. Bellatrix had been in a sour mood since they left the Gaunt house. Ella sighed and flinched as the image of a knife imbedded in a body appeared in her mind. Since grabbing Tom's diary, she had seen random flashes of mortifying things and each time, the cold voice instructed her to give the book back.

"You know." Bellatrix's voice called her back to the present.

Startled, Ella sat up and furrowed her eyebrows. "What?" she asked hesitantly.

"I think I know what we're looking for."

Ella jumped up and crossed the room to scan the ancient book her sister held. "The diadem of Ravenclaw?" she had never heard of it. She made to grab the page.

"Ask nicely," Bellatrix reprimanded with a smirk as Ella glared at her. "I'm not surprised you aren't familiar with it. I just remembered the Ravenclaw ghost moaning about it to a student once and thought it sounded rather interesting."

Ella read the legend surrounding the diadem in repulsion. Helena Ravenclaw had stolen her mother's diadem, lusting for it's wisdom, and ran away. On her deathbed, Rowena had sent the Bloody Baron to retrieve her daughter. When Helena refused to comply, the Baron had killed her in anger and when he immediately felt remorse, killed himself. "No wonder you were so fascinated." It sounded like the muggle story Romeo and Juliet.

"Yes, no wonder the Baron's always so mournful," Bellatrix snorted at the Slytherin ghost. "Anyways it seems like something he would seek."

"It does," Ella agreed reluctantly, scanning the rest of the book numbly.

"And where should we go?" Bella pressed.

"I'm not sure.."

"Don't play games with me Elizabeth," Bellatrix rehorted. "You know where to look for the next Horcrux."

Ella sighed again and picked at her nails. "Dumbledore's theory was Voldemort chose places that were relevant to him. Gaunt's home," she began to list. Bellatrix tapped her foot and Ella sighed. "Hogwarts was his home for 7 years. That was our best guess."

Bellatrix gave a calculating nod "And I assume you're avoiding it because of your idiotic Gryffindork friends." She smirked"Now that they think you're a traitor."

Ella stiffened. "Stop." Her voice was cold and Bellatrix looked up with twisted amusement. The expression chilled Ella and she sighed. "I'm sorry Bella. But they're my friends and I'm not a traitor." She straightened. "I know what I'm fighting for." The words were thrown at her sister and Ella swallowed, hoping she wouldn't have a bad reaction. "I mean.."

Bella stared at her before seeming to decide something. "Let's go then," she challenged. Ella sighed again and her twin cringed. "If I hear you so much as grunt," Bella flicked the dagger. "I'm going to shove this down your throat."

Ella grinned slightly. "Has anyone ever told you you're a great motivator?"

Bella rolled her eyes. "I'm sure it has been said on many occasions."

"What's the plan?" Ella stood.

Bellatrix narrowed her eyes. "There's going to be another attack on Hogwarts today, we can sneak in."

"So soon?" Ella was incredulous. She hesitated as doubt gnawed at her thoughts "How do you know that Bella?"

"I have my sources," her sister scoffed. "I'm glad to know you think so highly of me."