The Prank

Ella decided to follow the crowd up to the Gryffindor common room, feeling slightly left out. She had joked a bit with the Marauders at dinner but the boys were all so close and it made her miss Hermione, Ron, and Harry. She had always been more of the mother of the group, she remembered with a smile, even more so than Hermione, but had never fully clicked with them on the same level. A nagging voice had reminded her she didn't belong to that time and wouldn't stay. Now Ella wondered what they were up to without her and hoped that they wouldn't face the same desolation if she were able to change things. The girl ran her hand along the ancient banister while she trudged up the stairs, realizing Dumbledore had instructed her plenty of what to do in the future time, but hadn't left her much to go off once she returned to the past. Ella found a bit of satisfaction as she reminded herself she was at least back in her era.

Opening the door to the 7th year girl dormitories, she saw Lily and her friends from earlier already preparing for bed. The girls stopped as they looked at Ella with guarded expressions. She shut the door gently before leaning against it, "I know I've randomly appeared and everything but I want to get to know you all. I'm in all the Houses," she smiled wryly "but I'm not going to betray anyone. I'd really like to be friends," the time traveler finished earnestly.

The girls seemed to soften a little, but Lily and Alice stepped forward and enveloped her in a small hug. Ella stiffened a bit at first, in awe of the reality of the situation, but quickly sunk into it.

Lily smiled. "No worries, I admit I was a bit cautious of you, but I can tell that you're going to fit in just fine. I think it's rather incredible you get to be in all 4 houses, I've read nearly all the Hogwarts textbooks and that's never happened," she paused, eyes widening. "I mean I just love to read," the redhead corrected modestly.

Marlene snorted. "The biggest understatement I've ever heard." She brushed out her blonde mane carefully as she observed her nails. "Lils here would have her nose permanently in a book if we let her."

"Oh hush," Lily turned a faint pink before meeting Ella's gaze. "I really admire that you stood up to Bellatrix, that takes guts."

Ella returned her smile faintly, guilty by the truth of her pureblood identity. Maybe Dumbledore was right about secrets.

"Girls," Alice stood with a grand wave of her hand. "This calls for a gathering."

Ella furrowed her brow uncertainly.

"Whenever something new happens, we convene and discuss it," Mary quickly explained before shaking her head dismissively. "Alice makes it sound much more dramatic."

"It is important!" Alice insisted and flopped on her bed. "It's the core of who we are. For example," she sat up eagerly. "You should know I'm dating Frank Longbottom since 6th year after Marlene finally dared him to ask me."

"She's had a crush on him since THIRD year," Marlene scrunched her nose in distaste.

"You've had an eye on the great ladies man," Mary pointed out casually as she folded her clothes.

"Sirius?" Ella guessed it was her cousin. She had seen how flirtatious he was in this time and it shocked her.

"Pretty obvious choice, isn't it?" Lily giggled as Marlene tossed a pillow their way. "And dear old Mary here fancies Peter Pettigrew."

"Really?" Ella tried to act casual. She secretly wondered what she could do to encourage this relationship before turning to Lily. "So Alice and Frank, Marlene and Sirius, Mary and Peter. Lily, James or Remus?" Ella teased, secretly reveling in the fact she knew the future.