Broken Loyalties

Ella sat immersed in a dark arts book by the library window when a book hit her in the head. She nearly fell over, but after regaining her balance looked up and scowled. "Honestly you barbarians," she teased. However, the Marauders just gazed at her solemnly and her smile dropped.

"We need to talk," James began, running a hesitant hand through his hair.

A pause filled the air until Ella couldn't stand another moment. "What is it?"

"You've been associating with the snakes too much," Sirius shook his head sadly. "We have to save you from their vile clutches."

Ella blinked in surprise, unease settling in her stomach. She didn't think anyone had noticed. "Not really, most of them still despise me," Ella pressed. It was true, only Bellatrix knew of her true lineage and even her twin still maintained her distance to uphold her reputation.

"Dear Bella seems to have become warmer to you for one thing," James pointed out as he settled into an armchair.

"She doesn't give you the death glare when you sit at their table," Sirius agreed. "And I recognize it from firsthand experience."

"Second, you are reading a book on dark arts," Remus plucked the object from her fingers, a question in his eyes. Ella bit her lip worriedly.

Peter looked up for the first time, his gaze troubled. "You won't become one of them, will you?" Silence reigned in the library as the weight of his words sunk in.

Ella hesitated and the boys' eyes grew more alarmed. What was she supposed to say? She technically was a Death Eater already. "I will always fight for what's right," the girl worded carefully. "And trust me, I'm on your side." The Marauders relaxed slightly and she raised an eyebrow "But I still have loyalty to my dear snakes as well."

"Why?" James scoffed indignantly, pulling his feet from their spot on the ledge. "They treat you like dirt."

"Excuse me," a cold voice sounded from behind the group. The boys spun around and instantly sneered.

"Dear cousin," Sirius greeted tauntingly, lifting his chin.

Bellatrix stepped forward confidently, her gaze annoyed. "Come on, Ella. I wish to speak with you."

"You can speak to us first," James interjected, standing.

"James, it's okay. It's probably important," daringly Ella gave his hand a quick squeeze. "Thank you." Trying to ignore the Marauders' hostile faces, she sent them a soft glance and then followed her sister down the corridor. "What is it?" she asked once they stopped.

"I still don't understand why you hang out with filth," Bellatrix hissed. "If you weren't my sister.."

"Bella," Ella interjected. "They are not so different from us. Why is it so hard for you to accept it?"

Bellatrix spun and pointed her wand at her. "Everytime I think there's a chance of you returning to us, you go and act like a blood traitor. Do you not understand that purebloods are seperate? I've tried to have patience but you go too far. And stop with the little hero act, you do realize that you're lying to everyone." Ella flinched and Bella laughed harshly. "I think that's the only reason you were sorted into Slytherin, otherwise you should have been in Gryffindor, another betrayer to our family." She whipped around to face the corridor. "And I am supposed to let Charlotte Vanderwood know that the Dark Lord is planning an attack on Hogwarts rather soon, so be prepared."

Ella's breath caught. "Bellatrix, please wait," but her sister firmly made her way down the hall, her shoes echoing on the stone. Ella slid down the wall and buried her head in her hands. What was going to happen?