A Distubing Double

Ella sank against the wall of a hut in Hogsmeade, breathing heavily. Pain still coursed through her body and her vision had begun to fade. "We have to find the ring," Ella winced. "I actually know where this one is."

Bellatrix scanned over her sister and shook her head. "We need to stay put for the night."

Ella opened her mouth to argue and Bellatrix took her wand. "I'm not doing this for you. You're completely useless right now and would just get us caught."

Ella gave a ghost of a smile and curled up on the floor. "Sissie knows best." She grew serious. "I don't know what that curse will do to me, don't let me do anything stupid."

Bellatrix snorted. "Easier said than done," but she sat next to Ella and laid a hand on her arm. Ella relaxed at the touch and gave into the oncoming darkness.

It didn't last long. Horrible images flashed in front of Ella. Tortured muggles hung limply in the air in front of burning homes. Dark figures darted through the shadows and the blade of a dagger shone in the moonlight. Over it all, cruel and high pitched laughter echoed amongst the smoke.

Now Ella stood before the bodies of her friends, their forms broken and pale. "NO!" she sobbed, the blood pooling at her feet.

"This is what befalls traitors," a voice hissed. "Give back what you stole and it will all go away."

Ella straightened, choking back her tears. "I will not."

The hissing faded and the images swirled as Ella began to wake.

"Ella. ELIZABETH!" Bellatrix's voice urged harshly.

Ella opened her eyes urgently and Bella sighed. "Finally, I couldn't sleep at all."

Ella noticed random objects strewn throughout the room and looked apologetic. "I'm sorry," she shuddered as the images burned into her mind. "It was horrible."

Bellatrix gazed at the "traitor" prominent on her sister's hand, the letters dark, before standing. "Let's go."

Ella nodded and with a pop they were gone.

The twins stood in front of the Marvolo home, the rotten shutters hanging from its hinges. Ivy grew thickly over the exterior while the inside appeared dark and brooding.

Bellatrix gazed at the condemned building in surprise. "So this is where his family lived?"

Ella noticed Bellatrix had taken to referring to the Dark Lord as "him" recently and she hoped this was a good sign. "Apparently. The ring is inside."

Ella motioned for Bellatrix to wait and, closing her eyes, she spoke. "Finite Incantatem." The girl followed the incantation with several spells she had studied from Dumbledore to lift any evil enchantments. Bella muttered a couple of her own, but seemed slightly uncomfortable. She was more skilled in casting evil then removing it.

The sisters kept their wands ready as they crossed the porch and gingerly stepped through the doorway. Ella made her way around the corners of the house cautiously, not stopping until they reached the living room. A moldy couch sat collapsed to the side. The stone fireplace was crumbling to dust along with a few cracked pictures. Bellatrix scanned the faces. "Looks like a nasty family."

"I'm not too surprised," Ella motioned to the house as an example. She stared at Bellatrix carefully "You know, Voldemort's grandfather disowned his mother because she fell in love with a muggle."

Bellatrix's mouth fell open and her dark eyes grew wider. "The Dark Lord.. he isn't a pureblood?"

Ella shook her head. "No. But he was so angry towards that Gaunt family that he framed his uncle for the murder of his muggle father, who abandoned him."

Bellatrix looked scandalized as she stiffened. "Why are you telling me this? I could easily get rid of you before becoming a devoted follower to him and use this information."

Ella felt slightly alarmed and tried to hide it before she shook her head. "Because more people need to understand where Voldemort came from. Besides," she turned and pulled up a floorboard. "You and I both saw the destruction of the future." The wood tore and Ella grimaced while looking at Bellatrix as a golden box was revealed. "Whatever you do, don't touch the ring."

Bellatrix nodded warily but stuck her hand out as Ella reached for the box. "Let me take it."

Ella briefly hesitated and scanned her face before motioning for her sister to go ahead. Carefully, Bellatrix flicked her wand to lift the box. The lid fell open; there was a moment of eerie calm before a shriek split the air. Ella jumped.

"BLACK!" the voice cackled.

Bellatrix whipped out her wand. "Show yourself!" she sneered.

"Oh I will dearie." Out of the shadows strutted a woman with heavy lidded eyes and a mass of black coils. "Pleasure, Bells." An older Bellatrix grinned horribly. The real Bellatrix froze, the only sign of her fear in a faint twitch of her fingers.

"What brings you here?" the fake Bella taunted. "You were always one to do things alone. I should know. Trust me, it's better that way. One day you'll find yourself in a beautiful chamber. Watching your latest victim writhe on the floor for mercy. Their eyes pleading.."

"ENOUGH!" Bellatrix cried, her eyes wild.

"You forget I know your heart's desires." the older Bellatrix paced around the other. "I know what you want. You want to please your family. Prove yourself, that you are just as good as your sisters. You want to see the fear and awe in people's eyes when they meet you."

"No I don't." The real Bella's voice was deadly.

"Don't deny it darling, after all, I am you."

The horcrux raised a carefully manicured hand. "And I can help you in what you seek."

Ella waited, holding herself back. Her sister stepped forward. "You know nothing about me."

The older Bellatrix sneered. "Really? Why then.."

"BOMBARDA!" Bellatrix roared.

The box was flung back, closing as wood splintered into the air. Ella ducked under her cloak, shielding herself from the debris. As the explosion settled down she looked up to see Bellatrix standing over the horcrux, blood dripping from a cut under her eye. She picked up the box with her gloves hand and shoved it at Ella.

"Put the blasted thing in your bag," her twin spat.

Ella nodded and quickly placed the object in the bag she had charmed with an extension spell while Bella stood glaring harshly at a portrait of Marvolo Gaunt. Ella walked to her sister. "It's okay," she murmured before leaving the house, eager to escape the suffocating atmosphere. She waited on the weeds outside for her twin to follow.

Bellatrix picked her way down the steps and paused as she passed Ella. "She's wrong you know," she rasped, then smirked wryly. "Well I suppose I should say I'm wrong."

Ella solemnly faced her sister. "The horcrux is meant to tempt you in the worst ways." Ella pushed her doubts aside "Whatever happens Bella, it's going to be your choice in the end."

"What would it show you?" Bellatrix muttered with an empty look on her face. Ella reached over and squeezed her fingers.

"The desire for power."

The sisters walked away from the Gaunt home in silence, each occupied with their thoughts. The looming property seemed to taunt them as they drew further away, a promise of the darkness lying in wait.

(EDITED 7/26/18)