About 6 Years Later

Ella stood leaning against the pillar as fires were put out behind her, but the smoke still lingered heavily in the air. She closed her eyes as the memories of what had happened in the past tumultuous and exhilarating years flooded her senses.

Her friends came first. She had gotten close to Harry, Ron, and their friend Hermione Granger. Not only that, but she had at least gained the trust of Draco Malfoy and fellow Slytherin Blaise Zabini. A smiling Hufflepuff burned in her mind. Cedric Diggory had been a great friend before Voldemort murdered him, she thought bitterly. And Luna Lovegood and Cho Chang were fun to hang around. As Ella ran through her list, she hoped dearly she had been able to make a difference and make all these people the smallest bit closer. She had seen some amazing people who were underestimated and was thankful for the experience she had of embracing each House's quirks.

Ella pushed aside the grief in her stomach as she remembered her training with Dumbledore throughout the years as she entered his office. Despite the recent destruction, the Pensive stood in its cabinet and seemed to taunt Ella with the answers she didn't have. Before she left, Ella wanted to use it one more time. She pressed her blackthorn wand to her temple as she had seen the Headmaster on so many occasions and flicked the silvery strand into the Pensive's depths. With a brief pause she dived in.

14 year old Elizabeth Black stood, wand pointed at the practice Dementor. "EXPECTO PATRONUM" she hollered to no avail. Frustrated, she sighed and thumped to the ground.

"I have a theory." Dumbledore's voice sounded from behind her as he observed. The Headmaster was wearing his usual eccentric robes and took a seat behind his desk with a thoughtful expression.

"What's that Professor?" Ella asked, both drained and intrigued.

"I've overlooked something. Maybe you are unable to perform certain things like the Patronus because you haven't found it yet. You are, after all, not of this time and maybe the solution will be revealed later on." At Ella's frustrated face the professor leaned forward "Believe me though, it's there. You must simply be patient and keep trying."

A tear slipped down the real Ella's cheek. Now Dumbledore was gone. Due to Professor Snape and her nephew. She had been warned by Dumbledore in his cryptic codes, but this had still come out of nowhere. She pulled up her sleeve and more tears fell down as she looked as the Dark Mark on her arm. The scene swirled around her and new objects began to form as the memories associated with the image materialized.

"What have you done Ella?" Dumbledore's voice was grave and deadly calm. It was the only time Ella had seen him like this and it was terrifying.

"I HAD TO!" the memory Ella burst. "Professor, Voldemort's probably going to kill Draco at some point and you know about his mission to kill you. I need to make sure he's safe. Don't worry," she groaned as Dumbledore gave her a warning look. "I told him I was tired of my family and wanted to rebel and join him. I didn't give him much past that. Honestly, I think Voldemort is kind of searching for anyone and is to busy to focus on some random girl." Dumbledore looked doubtful and she fell silent before admitting with a choked voice as she stared at the new mark imprinted on her arm "You know I'm supposed to help him. Draco I mean." Ella stood defiantly. "But there is no way. I'm keeping my nephew safe, along with you." She looked at her arm again. "I was horrified to get this first, I always thought it was the sign of a monster."

Ella watched as her past self stood fiercely, her eyes stubborn.

"They're wrong. You always told me it is about the choices we make. So I'll choose what to do with the Mark and that's what matters." She finally met Dumbledore's gaze and was shocked to see tears glistening in his eyes.

"You have grown into an honorable woman and listen too well. Alas, you use my own words against me," he held her with a firm gaze and Ella gave a small smile.

"They're good to hold on to."

Ella blinked back tears at the tender moment as her memories swirled around her once again. She was still in the Headmaster's Office.

Dumbledore eyed memory Ella carefully. "I assume you know.."

"That you cursed your hand, yeah Snape told me!" Ella hissed, aiming a kick at his giant desk. "Now you're going to die, why would you.." Dumbledore held up his hand.

"There is a time for everything and I'm not afraid to die. Right now there is something much more pressing to attend to." He took out a small gold chain with a clear vial full of golden liquid. "This is a restorative draught for your memories as a child, not only that," he added quickly, as Ella's mouth had opened again to speak. "But it will take you back to your time." Ella's jaw dropped and for once she was speechless. "Now it will not take you back to when you were eight of course, but probably around when Bellatrix was your age. I can't be quite sure. Time travel is extremely unpredictable, but it's our only chance." Ella nodded, hesitantly taking the necklace and clasping it around her neck. "I want you to take it right after I'm gone. AND NO PROTESTS," Dumbledore added. "I see no reason to deny it, nor should you. However, once you take it, you cannot return. You must do what you can to change the past so that you can change the future."

With that, Ella popped out of the Pensive, resolve tightening her chest. It was time. She pulled out the letter she had hastily written her friends.

Don't worry. I'm fine, I'm so sorry for leaving before Dumbledore's funeral, but I have a mission. Stick together and keep each other safe. I love you all, remember that.

-E

She left the note upon the Headmaster's chair and headed away from the tower, limping from her wounds she had sustained while fighting after Dumbledore's death. The blonde carefully made her way to the Room Of Requirement and grabbed her bag that she had had packed for months. The room was a disaster being the first place the Death Eaters entered. She shuddered and tried not to look at the vanishing cabinet Draco had fixed.

Ella uncorked the bottle hanging around her neck for the first time and pressed it to her lips, taking a last gaze at the chaos around her. She was ready. The liquid slid down her throat and had an instant effect.

A small blonde girl ran down the hallway, chasing after her sister. "I'm coming Bella," she cried, stumbling after her.

"Not if I hide!" called the dark haired one, sprinting down the dark corridor mischievously.

"Girls keep it down!" their parents' stern voices echoed through the large house.

A slightly older girl appeared, with the same blonde hair as the first. "El, Bella, come on. We will play beauty shop in my room, okay?"

Ella giggled "Yes, Cissy," and grabbed Bella's hand, who groaned good naturedly.

"I was going to win.."

"No you weren't!" Ella rehorted, sticking her tongue out.

"Girls, girls, you're both pretty," teased Narcissa. "Now let's go."

The memories went by one after the next, and Ella felt like her brain might implode. There were ones of her mother singing to her and her father reluctantly reading muggle stories. Then came times of playing with Sirius and Regulus and pulling pranks.

Eventually the montague came to a stop and Ella lay with her eyes closed, a sad smile gracing her lips. She sat up unsteadily and warily opened her eyes. She was on the outside of the Forbidden Forest. Except everything was different. Instead of smoke and cries filling the air, a slight wind blew, bringing the smell of flowers and the tweeting of birds. Ella spun in a circle before wincing and grabbing her leg. Dumbledore's potion had worked. She was injured though, the cut on her leg seemed to be a dark magic that would be difficult to heal. She needed to find Dumbledore. Ella froze at the thought and grinned, she could see him again.

The girl ambled down a dirt path and took her time absorbing everything. Not much had changed when you compared it to the original Hogwarts, but next to the havoc Ella had just left it was a new world. She made her way up to the courtyard and pushed open the familiar wooden doors. Hundreds of eyes swiveled in her direction from the students sprawled about the grass.

The time traveller stiffened and reprimanded herself. Well that was a private entrance. 

(EDITED 7/24/18)