A New Beginning

Ella straightened up and made eye contact with the crowd, she was determined to give anything away. Students simply stood in shock and Ella faintly wondered just how many people you could obliviate at one time. The girl quickly moved her head, searching the familiar stones walls and grass. There he was.

Dumbledore always seemed to be coincidentally in the right place at the right time Ella thought wryly. The Hogwarts students seemed to tell that they wouldn't be getting answers until she spoke to Dumbledore and parted, leaving her a path. Ella could still feel their wary gazes as she limped past. At a gnarly tree root, she stumbled and gasps filled the area as the fierce cut on her leg was revealed. Suddenly a hand was at her arm, and Ella looked up to see the four infamous boys.

Remus Lupin was the one helping her and he gave her a gentle smile that she couldn't help but give back. Peter Pettigrew stood there cautiously, seeming a bit wary of the newcomer and though she knew his deeds as an adult, Ella couldn't find any hard feelings toward the sweet looking boy. It was her job to help direct him down the right path and away from the traitor he had become in her time. She turned to the other side and blinked back a tear at the sight of the roguish Sirius Black, much more young and joyful and ALIVE. And then there was Harry's father. James Potter in all his glory, gazing at her with a searching expression.

Ella's observations came to an end as they reached Dumbledore. "Thank you," she murmured. Dumbledore cheerfully motioned for her to follow, away from all the intruding ears as if she was simply coming for tea. However, she could see the calculation in his bright gaze.

Ella gave her body a shake to collect herself, the whole experience was rather unnerving and didn't seem quite real. She followed the headmaster to a familiar place of her childhood. His office.

Ella looked around in marvel at the room. The strange objects were still placed around the space, but there were less. Tapestries hung heavily from the ceiling and with a jolt she recognized many of the portraits that grumbled in their frames. The girl scanned the shelves and smiled at the Sorting Hat before she stopped in awe at Fawkes. The Phoenix seemed the same as ever and blinked at her, unfazed.

Dumbledore took a seat and gazed at her patiently, seeming to understand that she had just been through chaos. She grinned at the sight of him, a bit younger, but still with that mischievous twinkle in his eye like you didn't know quite what he was up to. The future Dumbledore's words from a meeting when she was 15 ran through her head:

"Now upon arriving in the past, you will find me and you need a story. I do not want you to tell me everything, for risk of knowing too much at the wrong time, but in order to help you I must simply know you are not from that time. I came up with a phrase in my teen years and promised myself that if I ever meddled with going forward in time, I would give the other version of myself this code so I would know. It's.."

"I do love woolen socks," the words tumbled out of Ella's mouth and she couldn't suppress the grin much like when she first heard the ridiculous phrase. Professor Dumbledore instantly straightened and looked at her with understanding.

"What's your story?" he asked simply and Ella knew he was giving her the opening to do whatever she needed to do.

"I'm Ella Connelly. I grew up with a tutor in the Wizarding World but have been on the run since Voldemort is attacking. I ran into a nasty skirmish where I got this," she gestured to her leg. "I had heard of Hogwarts and thought it would be a safe place and would give me the opportunity to continue my education so I made my way here."

Dumbledore nodded, agreeing with the story. "That seems to be in order," he gave her a wink and Ella smiled. "I must commend you for your use of Voldemort's name, not many would do so," he gazed at her curiously but spared her from answering. "You will be sorted at the feast right after we get you patched up."

Ella nodded hesitantly as she examined her transfigured appearence in the glass before raising her head in resolve."One more thing Professor?" Dumbledore looked up. "Can you.. umm... can you make it seem that I'm Muggleborn?" Dumbledore held her gaze, waiting for her to continue. "It's just, I think to reach everyone.. I've always wanted to protest the prejudice against Muggles."

The professor gave a last nod. "Very well, but I must warn you against spinning too many falsehoods and covers. It would not bode well for the people to turn against you." He leaned forward and fixed her with a scanning expression. "After all, how can they believe you if you're someone you are not?"

(EDITED 7/24/18)