A Birthday in Hiding

Sirius picked at some of his mashed potatoes. "I can't believe we've spent weeks looking for a traitor."

Ella sighed for the hundredth time. "Like I've already told you, Dumbledore suggested that family might help."

"And Bellatrix is our closest contact to Voldemort," James recited, dying the last pillow green.

"Do you really think she knows where the locket is?" Remus asked, tying the last bow on the present. They were currently decorating the muggle hotel room with emerald and scarlet banners in celebration of Lily's birthday.

"She has to know something," Ella insisted. "Now stop devouring all the food Sirius and get your bloody bottom over here."

Peter's knock sounded at the door, indicating he was arriving with Lily. Ella walked to the door "3...2...1.. SURPRISE!" Their voices cheered loudly as a bucket fell down and completely drenched Ella in green and red slime. "BOYS!" Ella growled.

"We thought you wanted to get into the celebration," James quipped innocently.

"Yeah, we debated making Lily the victim, but decided to be merciful since it's her birthday," Sirius sniggered.

"I had no vote in this," Remus put in quickly.

"I thought the permanent slime was your recipe, Moony?" Peter asked. The other two gave him a fist bump as Remus spluttered.

Ella narrowed her eyes. "I'll get you back," she smiled sweetly and the boys went a bit pale. She gestured to Lily to open her presents and her friend neatly unfolded the wrapping.

"Just tear it!" James cried in frustration as Lily unwrapped the last gift. She smirked and simply made her movements slower until she revealed the book Ella had gotten her on charms.

"Okay, now that Evans has excruciatingly wasted hours of our lives," Sirius shot her a dark glare. "Time to play truth or dare!"

Ella winced. "I don't know if that's such a good idea with you four."

James sniffed. "We're completely responsible."

"Remember that time you dared me to sneak into Minnie's chambers?" Sirius chortled.

"Minnie?" Ella looked confused. Then horror dawned on her face. "You don't mean?"

"McGonagall." Remus confirmed, shaking his head. "We all got weeks of detention."

"I had to clean the Flobberworm cages." Peter shuddered "There was slime everywhere."

Ella sat up, an idea in her head. "Pete, truth or dare?"

The boy eyed her nervously. "Truth."

"If you were starving and had to kill one of the boys to eat, who would it be?" Ella grinned.

Peter scanned his friend's faces, each one of them motioning to not choose him. "James I guess?" At his friend's horrified expression he quickly added "It's just I had deer once and it wasn't horrible. Dog and wolf would be disgusting."

"Thanks for the vote of confidence," Sirius complained sourly.

"So you are Animagus!" Lily jumped up, excited. The boys looked scandalized and Remus began to fidget.

"I forgot she doesn't know," Peter looked ashamed.

"No," Lily said. "But I definitely guessed. I mean, it doesn't take a genius to figure with your nicknames and always being with Remus in his transformations.."

Remus was pale. "You know I'm.. I'm.."

Lily shook her head. "Honestly Remus. You've been gone every full moon for the last seven years I've known you and are totally beat afterward. It was rather simple to put together." She put a hand on his arm. "You don't need to be ashamed of it. It makes you who you are."