Reminants of Childhood

Ella stood, exchanging her weight from one foot to another, waiting as James said goodbye to his parents. Fleamont and Euphemia weren't gullible in the slightest and she could tell they knew something else was going on.

"Have a good trip, my children," Euphemia embraced James, stepping back. Her eyes darkened. "Be careful."

"Is this vacation to London absolutely necessary?" Fleamont gave his son the staredown.

"Completely," James looked faintly nervous, but he gave them his trademark grin. "I would be more worried about the rest of the world."

"Yes, they're not ready for our reign," Sirius added, drawing the parents' attention away from their concern. Ella shot him a grateful glance.

"Ready?" she asked, fiddling with her bag. The pull of the Horcruxes was getting stronger still and she wanted to complete the task quickly.

The teenagers nodded and stepped close to the glowing pen Dumbledore had sent. The Portkey would transport them not far from Wool's Orphanage.

"Ready?" Lily seemed to assume it best not to let Sirius or James count off. "3..2...1... GO!"

Ella felt the unpleasant tug and she spun through the air as her brown hair whipped around her, she was once again in disguise. Right when her stomach began to churn, she fell to the ground, quickly conjuring a cushioning charm.

"It's bloody unfair," James grumbled. "How come you turned 17 in November?"

"That's right," Ella taunted with a gleam in her eye, brushing off her clothes. "This little baby boy's is in March. You're underaged." She grinned. "Remember though, Dumbledore removed the Ministry's trace on me from a young age."

"Lucky," Peter sighed. "Everything would have been so much easier."

"Think of all we could do.." Sirius' gaze turned dreamy.

Remus looked worried. "I'm actually glad you still have the Trace. I don't want to clean up after you all more than I already do."

"Hear, hear!" Lily agreed. "Being prefect to you idiots was the worst."

Ella laughed as the six made their way down the cobblestone streets. They were dressed in Muggle clothes, but still seemed out of place among the frigid adults in black coats that trotted down the walk.

"I see where Tommy got his love of dark garments." Sirius' joke hung in the air as they reached an old building. The windows were thickly shuttered and the stone was chipping. Despite its decrepit appearance, not an inch of mold or dust could be scene. Whoever ran it made sure it was kept in clean quarters. Still, one could not help but feel gloomy Ella thought. A dull cloud seemed to hang over the structure.

"It's horrible." Peter's face seemed horrified.

Ella gazed at the boy, concerned. He had been more withdrawn than usual and seemed especially unsettled at seeing Voldemort's childhood home. She put in arm around his and Sirius's shoulders.

Remus cleared his throat, breaking the silence. "So Peter, James, Sirius, and I will stand guard invisible while you and Lily head inside?" The boys looked hesitant to let them go in the dark place alone.

"We'll be fine," Lily had a face of determination. "We're a couple of unassuming tourists girls," she added wryly.

Ella linked arms with her friend. "Onward!"

The two girls strode into the orphanage, unsure of what they'd find.

A middle aged woman sat tiredly behind the desk. She looked up with a sigh when Ella and Lily walked in. "May I help you?"