Reconciliation

Ella sat at the Ravenclaw table in the Great Hall chatting to Portia Elm, the mature red head was actually quite skilled in learning all the gossip of Hogwarts and Ella was again distinctly reminded of Ginny Weasley.

"And Anthony Davies just asked out Bella Hall," Tia's eyes flashed indignantly. "I think he just gets all the admirers because of the fact that he's Quidditch Captain, she's much too young."

Ella looked at the boy who was boasting about his skill and exchanged a giggle with Portia as they stood, finishing the last bite of egg. Ella waved to Remus across the hall, who still looked a bit peaky, and the Marauders blew her kisses. She laughed and shook her head.

"I still can't believe they ensnared you with their charm," Portia eyed the boys skeptically. She had had many school assignments ruined by their pranks.

Ella snorted "Hardly." But she knew she was lying, she had developed a strong attachment to the boys. She had been trying to prove to Remus that he could trust her since last full moon as the werewolf had been quite horrified when he woke up and found out she knew of his condition. Finally, after much convincing (and some threatening) he had calmed down and talked to her more.

Ella made her way to the Slytherins and joined their ranks. She trotted to their common room by herself, observing the slime on the dungeon floor. Not a very interesting pastime, but even though she was no longer an object of heavy scorn, Ella was simply ignored entirely by the house of snakes. With a sigh, she plopped on the leather couch to find that the seat in front of her was occupied. Severus Snape eyed her suspiciously.

"Who are you?" he hissed.

Ella narrowed her eyes and grinned, pushing down her unease. "No need to act so cold Sev."

"Drop the Potter act," he sneered. "You know more than you let on." He gazed at her scathingly over his hooked nose.

Ella had to suppress a small smile at his familiar look of disapproval and shrugged simply. "Maybe I do, but if so, that's for me to know. Do you not hide things as well?"

Snape stiffened and eyed her warily, his fingers clenching. "Do not.."

Ella quickly changed her confrontational tone. "I'd like to be friends." She stuck her hand out hopefully and Severus stared at it, analyzing the situation.

"I'm afraid I don't associate with your kind," he stated coldly before whipping around to leave.

Ella took her chance and stood "What about Lily?" She had remembered Harry telling her of when Severus had called Lily a mudblood in their fifth year. It had broke their relationship.

Snape spun back to face her. His eyes were dark, but Ella could see the faint flash of guilt. "Shut your mouth, Connelly, about things you don't understand." He began to leave.

"I think she'd like to be friends again," Ella called impulsively. She swore for an instant Severus Snape halted before he briskly continued through the dungeons.

"Lils, we have to talk," Ella slammed her book down dramatically and the redhead gave a little jump as she upset her ink bottle.

"Ella Connelly! Don't scare people like that," she scolded, waving her wand to clean the mess.

Ella shot her a mischievous wink before sliding in the seat next to her. "Please don't be angry, but I talked to Severus a while ago," Lily stiffened and Ella quickly pressed forward "I think you guys should become friends again. Your relationship was a strong one, from what I've heard."

Lily shook her head in disapprovement. "Ella, you shouldn't have. It frankly wasn't your business." She began to organize her parchment. "I don't know if I can ever be friends with Snape. He's turned down a dark path and you've heard about what he called me," she spat bitterly.

Ella gazed at her friend seriously, taking one hand between hers. "Lily, what if you could change him?" She hurried on as the redhead opened her mouth to protest. "I know it sounds bizarre but I know just how much difference a friend can make. It's up to him to choose his path, but you are a great support. I'm serious."

Lily searched Ella's face before sighing and turning to her paper. She looked up as she fiddled with her quill. "I suppose I may try, okay? I've not quite forgiven him, he betrayed me." Lily bit her lip "But I'll try."

Ella jumped up and hugged her friend. "I love you, Lily."

Lily shook her head, but smiled. "I love you too El." She looked over at Ella's unopened Astronomy map. "Now get to work."

Ella groaned "I hate stars."

(7/25/18)