First Battle

Ella ran down the stone corridors, trying to avoid as many Death Eaters as possible. Curses shot around her as she dodged behind suits of armor. Flicking her wand, the girl disarmed another student and the young boy trembled as she advanced. Ella checked to make sure no one was looking before she shoved the boy into a broom closet.

"Stay there!" she hissed, casting a Muffliato charm. The Ravenclaw second year nodded fearfully and Ella whipped around to enter the Charms classroom. Trying to stay confident, she muttered jinxes left and right until suddenly an older Hufflepuff approached.

"BOMBARDA!" the yellow tied girl cried defensively.

A shelf was blasted on top of Ella and the breath escaped her lips while she saw stars. Dizzily, Ella stood and shook her head attempting to clear it. Her mask had tumbled off during the collision but as she turned to replace it she realized with a jolt that it was too late.

"El?" James Potter looked at her incredulously. Ella backed away slowly, hands reaching for her wand.

Peter let out a squeak as Sirius' gaze turned dark.

His eyes flicked down and rested on her arm where the Dark Mark was exposed. "So you're one of them, aren't you?" his tone was deadly.

Ella bit her lip worriedly, looking for an escape route. The four boys had surrounded her. "It's not what you think..."

"You know, I really thought you were decent," James sneered, his hushed voice horrible. There was a flash of betrayal in his gaze "I guess all snakes are evil."

Remus eyed her warily while holding his wand aloft. "How are you a Death Eater as a Muggleborn?" he looked like he didn't believe Ella at all. And he has no reason to, she thought glumly. Peter looked devastated and a shadow of anger passed over his face as Ella made eye contact worriedly.

Cries were heard from the next room and Ella tensed. "I'm not who you think," she pleaded, stepping forward. The Marauders raised their wands defensively.

"That much," Sirius muttered. "Is obvious."

She looked at her friends sadly. "I'm really sorry."

And with a turn of her heel, disapparated.

Ella returned to the main part of the castle and raced through the Great Hall, trying to ignore thoughts of her encounter with the Marauders. She was able to apparate in Hogwarts due to Dumbledore's instruction and because he lifted the protective enchantment for her only.

Ella waved her wand and sent a portrait crashing in front of a group of Hogwarts students, trying to shield them from the Death Eaters' curses. Then the girl's hands trembled as she saw Bellatrix dueling with Marlene and Mary. The Gryffindors had on expressions of defiance as the battle grew more intense. Making sure her mask was secure, Ella stepped forward and blocked the curse Bellatrix had sent.

Bellatrix's eyes widened in betrayal and she sneered in disgust. "What do you think you're doing?"

Ella spoke in a cool tone, trying to disguise her voice. "The Dark Lord wants witnesses, no need to harm them badly."

Mary and Marlene looked bewildered as Bellatrix stiffened at Ella's unusual deadly tone. As the dark witch opened her mouth to rehort, a menacing voice hissed through the air. The Death Eaters froze with recognition.

"You have done well my followers, I am pleased. Now I'm afraid I must call you back so we may discuss our next advances. After all, we can't destroy everything," Voldemort laughed hollowly. "Albus Dumbledore I speak to you: do you now see the destruction of which I am capable? Not to fear, I'm only doing this for the greater good."