The Truth Unveiled

Ella pulled herself up from where she had fallen on James. She gasped as she saw the figure standing before her. Tom Riddle sneered down, twiddling his wand in his fingers.

"Stay away," she hissed, scrambling backward.

"Ella?" She paused as she heard James' uncertain tone. Ella blinked and the image faded, revealing her clinging to a confused James.

She began to turn red. "Sorry," she winced as he stood, rubbing his arm.

"You can apparate out of Hogwarts?" Remus was incredulous. James and Sirius gave him a blank stare and the werewolf rolled his eyes. "You never did read Hogwarts: A History. Put simply, it's impossible due to several complicated enchantments."

Ella nodded. "Dumbledore raised them specifically for my use." She turned and scanned the bedroom. "We're in our safe house on the outskirts of Hogsmeade."

Lily raised her wand. "Muffliato." The redhead looked at her. "Tell them."

James was outraged. "You knew?"

Ella held up a hand. "I told her part of it right before I left, but I asked her not to tell anyone. Thank you," she smiled guiltily at Lily before she sat, conjuring several chairs. Ella stroked one of her blond curls, it wasn't often she had her true identity. "I was born Elizabeth Black during the first snow on November 16th, twin to Bellatrix Black. A prophecy had been told that one would be born on the first snow that would destroy evil. This painted both Bella and I as targets to Voldemort. As a young girl, I lived normally until a Death Eater came for me under orders to get rid of the threat. Dumbledore was able to stop him. However," she paused. "This is where it gets completely bizarre."

Remus snorted. "How much more?"

His face began to droop as Bellatrix began to chuckle goodnaturedly. "Tell them," she gasped, holding her sides.

Ella grimaced "Dumbledore sent me into the future. About 20 years."

Sirius stood, knocking down the sofa, outraged. "He what?"

Lily raised her hand as the boys began to exclaim odd phrases. "Let her finish," she commanded in the voice she used reprimanding first years.

"Part of the prophecy also had to do with time righting itself. Dumbledore figured I could learn what I needed, while also being more protected, in the future. He modified my memory and so I went through my first 6 years of Hogwarts there," she picked at the sleeve of her dress, further revealing the Dark Mark. "I saw horrible things happen, but I was rather fortunate to not have been in the middle of the fight. I got the Mark at the beginning of my sixth year while undercover as a Death Eater to keep my friend safe in his mission." Her gaze darkened. "At the end of that year his mission succeeded and Death Eaters invaded Hogwarts. After the battle, I slipped away and drank a potion Dumbledore had given me that restored my previous memories and sent me here, where you found me," she bit her lip. "Dumbledore and I came up with the alias Ella Connelly and I was sorted. As you know, I met with Dumbledore many times and he asked me to pose as a Death Eater once more under the cover of Charlotte Vanderwood. I finally told Lily most of this right before they first attacked, but then I left." Ella let them absorb this as she stood and grabbed her bag. "Part 2," she pulled out the diary, ring, and diadem. The others eyed items darkly. "While I was in the future Dumbledore told me about how Voldemort, or Tom Riddle, split his soul and implanted them in certain items. He knew that there was the ring and the diary, but he assumed Tom would want to show his dominance of the other houses and therefore used Hufflepuff's cup, Slytherin's locket, and as we now know, Ravenclaw's diadem. The only way one can destroy the objects is with a Basilisk fang and a Basilisk had lived in the Chamber of Secrets during my second year before it was killed." Ella collapsed on the floor. "I've seen them destroyed before and it must be done again."

Bellatrix stood frigidly, smoothing her robes. "This wise witch decided to go after the diary," she announced disapprovingly. "Of course the thing was cursed and Elizabeth's been haunted with hallucinations since."

"I'm fine," Ella sat up uncertainly, not sure what to do. She observed each of her friend's faces. Remus's was thoughtful, but still guarded as he ran his finger along a scar stretched across his arm. Lily looked matter of fact, she figured there wasn't much they could do about it now while Sirius still appeared angry, glaring at random places in the room. James looked much the same, but he had disappointment etched in his brows as he glanced at Ella. She swallowed, feeling guilty before turning to Peter Pettigrew. She felt a bit of a shock. The normally passive boy looked betrayed. He gazed at Ella before swiftly standing and exiting the room and she stood to head after him.

"Ella, wait," James' voice stopped her. "Give him a bit."

Ella flinched and turned. "I'm sorry, I felt like I did what needed to be done.."

"Did you?" Sirius challenged. "And why couldn't you have told us?"

"It would have put you in more danger and.."

"We're used to danger, that's never been the problem," James pointed out.

Ella chewed her lip. "You're right." She shook her head "I can't do this without you. If you want to join, you can. I mean, I would really like.."

Lily stood and scanned her friend before biting her cheek. "I'm in," she surrendered.

Ella laughed with relief and suffocated the redhead with a hug. "Thank you Lils."

"Thank you for telling me," Lily breathed into her ear. "We need to talk."

Ella nodded softly before facing the Marauders.

Sirius stood and pulled a curl of hair. Ella smiled faintly, reminded of when he did the same action as a child. "I wouldn't be Sirius Black if I didn't fight for my family," he motioned to the Marauders. "I suppose you count if you're the same Ellie I remember."

Ella grinned and stretched out her hand, Sirius took it, but gave her a stern stare. "Don't disappoint me. I'll always fight for the good side." He smirked at the words and winced. "This seems like some cliche muggle movie."

James laughed. "I feel you. Right behind you Padfoot," he clasped a hand on Sirius's shoulder, but Ella noticed with unease that he didn't fully meet her eyes. Both boys turned "Moony?"

Remus shook his head with a faint grin. "Someone has to supervise."

"That's the spirit!" Sirius whooped, he couldn't remain serious for long.

Ella tried to suppress the lingering guilt she had and smirked slyly. "Great! Get to studying!" She dumped some of the bag on the bed, revealing a unreasonable pile of large textbooks. "We're looking for anything related to the Horcruxes."

Sirius looked horrified while James muttered "Undetectable extension charm" as he examined the bag.

The three girls looked at him in surprise and he ran his fingers through his hair smugly. "What? We've used that one in our pranks a fair amount."

Bellatrix eyed him dryly. "Well that explains a lot."

(EDITED 7/26/18)