Six: James

JAMES

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"GRYFFINDOR!" The raggedy old hat bellowed. James punched his fists into the air. Sirius tossed his head back and whooped. Remus and Peter each called out for Calysta. In the front of the room, Calysta smiled, visibly sighing in relief. Dumbledore and McGonagall clapped, thrilled to have the interesting transfer. Calysta was nearly skipping out of her shoes when she made it to James and his friends.

"I knew you'd be in Gryffindor!" Sirius pulled her into a bear hug, laughing triumphantly. James threw an arm on her shoulder. Calysta sat between him and Sirius. She laced her fingers with Remus' as they high-fived, then released them again. Peter was still clapping for her.

"Alright, alright, calm down so we may proceed in the sorting." The Headmaster motioned for the Gryffindors to be quiet. Sirius, James, and Calysta released each other and straightened on the bench.

The Sorting resumed as promised and Gryffindor gained 27 new students. The most gained were in Hufflepuff at 32. The Slytherins got 25 new students. Ravenclaw gained the least at 21. Not many first years were accepted this year. The year before had at least 30 more. 

Dinner was served, and everyone stuffed themselves to the brim. Across from James, Remus stood, brushing off his robes and heading towards the doors with the other prefect. Who just happened to be Lily Evans. James sighed to himself when he saw her. Calysta cleared her throat.

"I see your face, James." She giggled. Sirius clapped him on the back over Calysta's shoulder. James' face flushed, turning his head to the side. Remus and Lily nodded briefly at each other. Remus cupped his hands to his mouth.

"First years, follow me to the dorms!"

"Hurry along, everyone!" Lily interjected. The whole room was filled with the ear-splitting sound of wood on stone. Calysta cringed at the sound. James yanked on Sirius' robes to pull him forward.

"I'm comin'!" Sirius grumbled. Grabbing Calysta by her sleeve, he pulled her along. "C'mon, you're gonna love the common room." Sirius insisted. Calysta laughed, her legs skipping to keep up with the two boys.

As the prefects in different houses went their separate ways, the parade of students thinned until it was only Gryffindor students. Calysta looked just like a first year as she looked up and down hallways to get her surroundings. James let out a breathy laugh, causing Calysta and Sirius to look at him.

"You look like a first year."

"Technically, I am." Calysta punched James' shoulder playfully.

"You'll get used to it," Peter's small voice said on James' right. Calysta hadn't realized he was here; she was wondering where he had gone.

"I know. It's just so exciting!" Calysta exclaimed, tilting her head back to stare at the high ceilings. Calysta was suddenly tugged back by her sleeve. Sirius laughed quietly when she glared at him. She was so busy looking up she didn't realized the procession of students had halted. Remus cleared his throat, speaking to the first years in the front.

"The Gryffindor common room and dorms are behind this lovely lady right here." He smiled and gestured with his arm to the portrait.

"Oh, Remus, you scoundrel." A heavy-set lady in an old fashioned dress waved at the children. Moving pictures, classic. Remus smiled at her again.

"The password, " Lily added, talking to all students now, "is mimybus." The first years repeated the word, getting it into their minds. As did Calysta. Lily said the password and the Fat Lady welcomed everyone before swinging open. Remus and Lily stood on either side of the opening, ushering students in. As Calysta approached at the end with James and Sirius on both sides, Lily did not hide her intent to avoid the two boys. James swore he saw a smile directed at Calysta before she turned away. Peter jumped ahead, strolling into the room before the other four. Remus smiled widely at Calysta.

"I thought for sure I jinxed it when I told the others you were going to be in our House." Remus said, relieved he was wrong. Calysta couldn't help but hug everyone once they were all inside. 

Out of the hug, she wandered around with the younger students and looked at everything in the room. Within minutes, the first years cleared from the room as the older students told them to get to bed. They paid no attention to Calysta or the four boys. Calysta jumped over the back of the couch and landed in a soft thump on the cushions, stretching her legs over the end. Sirius and James circled around either side and sat on the arms of the couch: James at her feet and Sirius by her head. Calysta closed her eyes, taking a deep breath and swinging her foot lazily in a circle.

"If you're tired, you can go to your dorm." Peter suggested, leaning over the back of the couch. Remus reappeared once he was sure he directed the first years to their dorms with success. Calysta stopped swinging her foot and her eyes opened slowly. She reached her arms out to James, opening and closing her fists. James got the gist and pulled her into a sitting position. Calysta made a loud sound in her throat and swung her legs over, standing up with her back to the flickering fire.

"I guess. I can't wait to start classes." Sirius' face twisted into one of disgust.

"Why would you say that?"

"I just am. I love learning new spells and potions."

"Which is your favorite class?" Sirius asked.

"Potions. Top marks at my old school." Calysta said, holding her head high. Sirius and James looked at each other.

"Snivellus is gonna have some competition." Peter chuckled.

"Snivellus?" Calysta wondered aloud. They had shown her who he was before on the train.

"His name is Severus." The attention left Calysta and landed on a familiar red head placing her hand on her hips. "You'll do good to remember, Potter." Lily Evans turned to Calysta then, her features calming and forming a pleasant expression. "I'm Lily Evans. It turns out that you'll be staying in my dorm. We'll have your bed ready when you're done talking with...them." The girl walked away, leaving Calysta with a slightly confused feeling. James rolled his eyes, his lips pulling down into a flat line.

"His best class is potions. He is obsessed with it. It's almost not right." James explained, right back on the topic of Severus. Calysta shrugged.

"If you get the chance, show him up. The weirdo deserves it." Sirius snarled. Calysta looked astounded.

"Why do you hate him so much?" She asked.

"I mean, really obsessed. I think he's even made his own spells and stuff." James didn't answer Calysta's question.

"Well, I'll see you in the morning." Sirius changed the subject, backing away towards the staircase leading to the boys' dorms. James was annoyed now, he couldn't get over his hatred no matter how hard he tried. Calysta sighed, running both hands back through her hair.

"Same." She yawned before continuing. "G'night." Calysta left remaining three boys by the couch and climbed the stairs to the girls dorms. At the top, she turned dramatically and kissed her hands and flicked them outwards towards the guys. She laughed softly and entered her room. James and Peter followed Remus as he turned away.