Twelve: Lily

LILY

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Don't wait up," Calysta ordered her dormmates. "I'm just going for a walk." Lily looked at Skylar with an odd expression but decided to nod at Calysta.

"Alright. Goodnight, Cal." Skylar said, slowly climbing into her bed. Lily sat cross-legged on top of her sheets, watching Calysta suspiciously. Calysta seemed anxious to leave at dinner. Plus, Potter and his friends were no where to be seen after potions. Once Calysta was out of ear-shot, Lily jumped to her feet and peeked out the door. Down in the common room, Calysta looked back and forth. A bit jumpy, Lily thought.

"What's she doing?" Marlene and Skylar followed Lily to the door, startling Lily.

"No idea," Lily replied truthfully. She kept her eyes on Calysta as she paced the length of the couch. Another door creaked open on the far end of the stair case on the boys' side of dorms. Calysta whipped around, breathing out in relief. The door that opened belonged to Potter, Pettigrew, Lupin, and Black. They always did this. Every year, every month. They huddled in a tight circle with Calysta. The boys' mouths moved at intervals. Calysta would nod after each one spoke. Finally, Calysta pulled Remus into a hug. The other three looked at the floor. Remus was the one to break away, holding Cal in place at arm's length. Lily could hear bits of the conversation.

"You'll be alright, Remus." Calysta whispered.

"Just like any other time," Sirius aimed this at Remus.

"I hate dragging you into this," Remus sighed, eyeing Calysta with worried eyes. Her hand waved at him dismissively and said something else. Lily was unable to interpret it.

"Ready?" James had asked. Peter's hand went to Remus' back and guided him out the door. Calysta was last to exit. The incident left Lily's mind churning. She turned to her dormmates.

"I want to follow them," Lily tried for the door, but her arm was pulled back by her friend.

"You'll get in trouble," Marlene countered.

"I'm a prefect! I'll just say I thought someone left without permission or something." Lily waved her off, careful not to make the door creak as she opened it. Skylar winced. "I'll be fine! I only want to know what they do every month. And now that they've got Cal dragged into it, I really have to know."  As she padded softly down the stairs, Lily couldn't believe she was acting more and more like Potter and his blokes.

"Curse you, Potter." She whispered to herself. The Fat Lady portrait swung open as she walked towards it.

"Where are you off to, Ms. Evans?" The Fat Lady questioned.

"Prefect duties, miss." Lily answered. The Fat Lady nodded.

"I see. Yes, that Lupin boy left a short time ago; said the same thing." Lily narrowed her eyes curiously.

"He was the only one?" She asked. The Fat Lady looked at her oddly.

"I would know if anyone else left, dear." She told Lily. Lily hmphed, turning away from the portrait. Where did Calysta and the other three go then? She turned down the nearest hall to find the windows that over-looked the court yard. She swore she heard foot-fall approaching her. Lily ducked behind the nearest stone pillar.

"Lily?" A boy's voice asked. Could it be...?

"Severus?" She asked. The boy chuckled.

"Fancy seeing you out this late. I saw Lupin heading down this hall in my direction so I thought to follow it. Then I saw you." Sev reported. Lily sighed, placing a hand on her chest.