Eight: Sirius

SIRIUS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sirius' eyes were closed as he hummed to himself. His hands were behind his head and his long legs stretched the whole length of the couch. Sirius was aware that the rest of his friends were near him.

"Hey, Sirius, your girl is comin' down," James joked. Sirius sat up and strained his neck to look over the back of the couch. He saw Calysta sporting a black skirt and Gryffindor-red sweater, linking arms with Lily. Marlene and Skylar were with them too.

"Lily's looking great today, James," Sirius said. James flushed red and stammered. His face went into a dream-like trance as he stared.

"When are you going to ask her out?" Remus smirked to himself, picking at his fingers. Peter laughed on the floor at Remus' feet.

"Yeah, James. When?" Peter joined. James scowled at Remus and Peter, causing Remus to laugh quietly to himself, then fixed his glasses before walking past the couch and approaching the three girls. Sirius let out a small grunt before jumping to his feet and walking side-by-side with James.

"Heyheyhey, ladies." Sirius winked. Marlene scoffed and continued ahead. James held his eye contact with Lily. Lily froze, staring back. Weird; no snarl or disgusted look. The two went back and forth until Lily insulted James. Sirius broke out in loud laughter at his friend's expense. Lily flipped her hair over her shoulder and tugged Calysta and Skylar out into the hallway. James' face was priceless.

"Nice chat!" Sirius called after them. It sounded more sarcastic than he aimed for. Sirius and James watched the portrait swing closed. James breathed out, defeated.

"She really does hate me," He mumbled. Sirius clapped him on the shoulder.

"No she doesn't." Sirius tried to help. James shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair. He looked stressed.

"I'm not giving up. I have to have her," James said, taking on a new attitude.

"That's the spirit!" Sirius cheered. Remus smiled as he sat on the arm of the chair, leaning over to look at James and Sirius.

"I'm starved. Let's go down to breakfast." Peter stretched, standing now.

"Alright." Remus, James, and Sirius said in unison. The four boys exited the common room and joined the rest of the students going down to the Great Hall. Sirius skipped ahead, walking backwards to talk to the rest of his friends. As they got nearer to the Great Hall, James' face morphed into an angry stare. Sirius slowed to a walk and looked over his shoulder.

Severus and his Slytherin friends were huddled at the doors. Amerus Avery caught Snivellus' attention and pointed to Sirius' group of friends. The members of each group glared one another. James smirked as Severus rolled his eyes, breaking eye contact first.

"Guys!" A light voice called from Gryffindor table. Sirius spun around, looking for the voice. Calysta was in the middle of the table, looking for them. Sirius smiled and made his way over to the girl, sitting between Lily and Calysta. James, Peter, and Remus joined shortly, picking spots near Skylar and Marlene. Skylar awkwardly moved away from Peter. Calysta, unaware of the girls' unease, greeted them and asked when they were getting schedules.

"Soon, I would think. First thing in the morning." Remus told her.

"Why'd you walk out so fast this morning, Evans?" Sirius asked, not listening to Remus and Calysta's conversation.

"Why wouldn't I? All you guys do is flirt when it gets you absolutely nowhere." Lily snapped. She climbed off the bench and stood with her back straight and hands at her sides. She looked at Calysta with her jaw clenched.