Calysta: Final Chapter

CALYSTA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The grand dinning room of Calysta's home hailed true to the spirit of Christmas. A tree was elegantly decorated and stood tall in one corner in front of a ceiling-tall window. Old holiday music poured softly from a vintage record player. Dark oak floors dully reflected the light of candles inside the crystal chandelier hanging above the dining table. A granite fire place took the head of the table, while a doorway to the kitchen took the other end. China plates stacked with steaming, delicious food filled the air with mouth-watering scents. The walls matched the floors, decorated with old paintings Calysta looked at a million times in detail.

A long, tulle dress was draped over a chair in Calysta's bedroom, mocking her as she paced back and forth past it. A copy of the Daily Prophet strongly noted the ever-rising threats of Voldemort and his followers. Her brother and soon-to-be sister-in-law, Ardedia, were not joining them that evening. Sirius would be arriving later, as he was also spending Christmas with his family. Calysta was instructed by her mother to dress her best, saying she was having a few guests over to dine with them as well.

"I guess I'll have to do it," She muttered to herself, tugging the dress up her legs. It had short sleeves, so she threw on a white, sheer shawl. A house elf accompanied her, a friend of her's since she was a child. The elf came with her from America.

"Don't despair, miss. Tizzy hates to see Calysta upset." The squeaky voice of the house-elf placed one of her hands on Calysta's knee as she sat on her bed. Calysta laid her own hand on top of the light fabric. Calysta shook her head.

"Mother hasn't talked to me all day. I don't know what's wrong, Tizzy." Her house elf's wide eyes gave her a sad look. She left Calysta and collected white heels from the center of the floor, putting them on Calysta's feet.

"Mrs. Daelynn must be very busy in preparation," Tizzy suggested.

"I guess so. Would you mind...?" Calysta gestured to her hair. Tizzy nodded enthusiastically, jumping on the bed and putting Calysta's locks into an elaborate up-do with twists and braids. When she was done, she bowed and backed away. Calysta thanked Tizzy sincerely, clipping the moon-and-stars charm necklace given to her by Remus Lupin for Christmas. "I wish I could wear my leather jacket." Calysta sighed, annoyed. Her eyes traveled to her bed, where the jacket from Sirius laid on her pillow. It smelled like his cologne.

"I shall accompany Calysta to dinner," Tizzy lead the way, her small feet bare against the ground. Calysta's small heels made quiet, rhythmic clicks against the wood floors. The one thing she didn't like about the house was that the wooden floors were continuous throughout. She thought a rug or even tile would break up the endless run of oak. Calysta looked out one of the hallway windows, seeing the constant downfall of thin snow in the wind, and pulled her shawl tighter around her.

Eventually, she caught sight of her mother swaying to the music filling the dining hall. Calysta watched as Leena Daelynn waved her father over to her. Oren sent her a smile but refused. Calysta slowly approached when her mother's smile faultered. Calysta cleared her throat and her parents both turned to face her.

"Ah, my darling! You look so beautiful," Calysta's mother sighed once Calysta came into her view. She was a short woman; Calysta was just taller than her. Leena Daelynn had short hair the color of pitch and deep brown eyes flecked with black. She rubbed Calysta's arms and smiled brightly. It was the most interaction they'd had all day.

"Leena, our guests are coming up the sidewalk," Oren Daelynn announced, holding a curtain open slightly. Calysta no doubt took after her father; she had his eyes and hair, and his tendency to be able to read people's emotions when the person in question tried to hide them. Tizzy's hands wrapped around Calysta's calf as she also peeked out of the foggy windows.