Thirty-Three: Sirius

SIRIUS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Lily and Calysta sat by the fire on the Friday night before many students were leaving for home for the holidays. With Calysta sitting on her haunches behind him, gathering half his hair into a bun and securing it with one of Lily's scrunchies, Sirius was content. Lily and Calysta were deep in conversation as they waited for James to come back in the room. Presents were stacked under a Christmas tree in the common room that the Grounds Keeper brought in for each House dorm.

"I talked my parents into a day at James', Sirius." Calysta told him gladly, coming to sit beside him when she was done with his hair. Sirius smiled a wide smile.

"That's great! James will be happy to hear that too."

"They agreed to me leaving with you after dinner with my family. We can use the Floo at the house and get to James' a little late. I hope that's okay with James and his family." Calysta grinned. Sirius assured her it would be.

"I'm going to miss you for two weeks." Lily joined. Calysta hugged Lily tightly.

"I'll miss you too!" Calysta squealed. Remus and Peter sat on the couch behind Sirius in silence, watching the fire dance along the sides of the chimney. The air was scented like pine and cinnamon, the atmosphere peaceful and cheerful. The two girls pulled apart when the Fat Lady portrait swung open, revealing James with a tray of food from the kitchens.

"Hello, hello!" He greeted, setting the tray of food in the middle of the students. Calysta reached over her shoulder and snatched a freshly baked chocolate chip cookie from the tray. She broke it in half and fed it to Sirius' open mouth. Calysta laughed and ate the other half.

"Presents?" Peter suggested after swallowing a whole cookie.

"I'm so excited!" Lily rubbed her hands together. James' bare feet padded a short distance to the decorative tree and started gathering a few wrapped boxes from under it.

"Cal, this one's for you." James handed Calysta a thick green box. "Aaand this is for Remus." A smaller red, cubical box was handed to Remus. Peter got up to retrieve more gifts.

"Another for Remus," Peter slid the box over the coffee table. "Lily," He named, handing her a bag with pink tissue paper. "Mine... Then for Sirius," Sirius took a heavier box out of Peter's arms. After the presents were handed out, they decided for Peter to go first. Peter unwrapped the first one; a long. yellow-wrapped box.

"Black Mists." He read the box, taking off the lid. "Oh, wow! These are so cool!" He laughed, holding a candy between his fingers. "Thanks, Lily." He smiled kindly at her. Lily nodded.

"Oh! Open mine, James." Calysta spoke, pointing at a thin, flexible object. James threw her an excited look, then picked it up and tore the paper, gasping at the object inside.

"First edition of Quidditch monthly! Where did you get this? No one has seen one in years!" James was in awe, staring wide-eyed at Calysta.

"A girl never shares her secrets," She winked. James held it in front of him, still staring at the cover.

"This is amazing! Thanks a lot!" He held the magazine up to admire it a while longer, then set it beside him.

"Remus, that one's from me." Lily motioned at the small box in his hand. He gently opened the velvet casing.

"Glass pens!" He stated excitedly. He pulled one out of the container, holding them up to show everyone. Sirius and James took particular interest in the pens.

"What's a pen?" James asked, studying it like it was a mutant creature. Remus laughed quietly. Lily also looked as if she found great amusement in their words.