Fifteen: Peter

PETER

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today was the day James was supervising the try-outs for the Gryffindor Quidditch team. Everyone had full confidence he would make the right decisions. Two spots were left open on the team and one was already taken. James and the team captain had to make the final call, for the spot of second Chaser was important to James as the player would be his partner in the game. Peter sat in the bleachers next to Sirius and Calysta. Remus was on Calysta's other side. They formed a tight huddle in anticipation for James' decision. The air had an extra chill to it that afternoon.

"Are you wearing James' hat?" Remus asked Calysta. Sure enough, Peter recognized James' Quidditch World Cup beanie. Calysta seemed taken off guard but then she smiled.

"Oh, yeah it is. I was cold so I took it from his bag." She smirked, pulling it further down over her ears.

"You must not be used to the cold," Peter guessed. Being a native to Arizona meant little experience with a lot of snow or cold. It was perfect for sunburn though; Calysta's had since faded into a lighter bronze that seemed more natural. She nodded.

"You could say that." She let out a breathy laugh. They waited through about a dozen fellow Gryffindor students before finally James got his chance.

"Come on, James!" Sirius shouted, clapping his hands. James looked over from across the pitch at his friends. He gave a two-finger salute and pushed his broom off the ground. His uniform flapped behind him as he flew upwards. The captain of the team threw the Quaffle into the air and James swooped and grabbed it under his arm. He flew around the pitch, easily throwing it to the student trying out for the second position. Only once did the Keeper manage to block the student's fast throw.

"Aw, he was so close!" Calysta shouted, throwing her hands in the air; Sirius cursed. Peter and Remus made a noise in complaint. Peter wasn't all that interested. Remus, he was sure, was the same way. They were both just there to support their friend.

"I asked Lily to come but she...you know. Lily wanted to but..." Calysta started, but trailed off in the end, distracted by James' flying. Her eyes darted in the path James flew. He threw a wink in their direction as he started to fly their way. Sirius reached a hand high in the air and James slapped it as he dove over their heads. After try-outs were finished, James jogged up to them with a Cheshire cat grin.

"The bloke's pretty good! Not as good as me, but he's got potential." James boasted loudly. Sirius clapped him on the back. Peter's hands clapped enthusiastically. Calysta ruffled his hair.

"Congrats! We knew you would make a good call. I don't know about you, but I could go for some butterbeers." Peter hinted. Sirius nodded rapidly in agreement.

"Come on! Drinks on me." Sirius cheered: meaning he volunteered to steal them from the kitchen.

The Marauders and Calysta made their way to the common room. They invited others to a small party with the other teammates. Peter and James dragged Calysta to meet the rest of the team. Some she knew already, some she didn't.

Once the butterbeers and music made their way into the party on the beautiful Saturday night, the party grew a bit rowdy and became a House event. Even more so when an unknown student spiked the butterbeer. Remus and Peter stuck with Calysta. They sensed she was a bit overwhelmed with how the party turned around. Peter could tell she wanted to join in the party, but she didn't know the people well enough.

"Where's Sirius?" Peter asked above the music blaring from the radio on the desk. Calysta stood on tip-toe and searched.

"Ah, he's with James on the table," She giggled, nudging her head in the others' general direction. Remus and Peter looked to see what caused her to react with laughter. Peter cracked up too when he saw the state of his friends. James' wand waved in the air, occasionally shooting off tiny sparks. A butterbeer was held in his other hand and he moved his feet to the beat of the song in wild movements. Sirius' tie had found its way to his head, dangling down the side of his face. Swinging his head around with the music, he joined James on the table, a butterbeer also present in his hand. He was bouncing on the balls of his feet, shimmying his chest.

"What dorks..." Calysta smiled. Remus shook his head, a small smile on his lips.

"I think they've had enough," Remus said. Remus shoved his way to the front of the room where their two friends were putting on a show on the table. Calysta and Peter followed, laughing at their attempt at dancing.

"Ooohh," Sirius slurred, "Here's my girl!" His grin was lop-sided. He held out his hand to Remus, beckoning him. Remus gave him a look. Peter laughed loudly. Calysta did the same.

"I hope you don't mean me," Remus cracked a grin. Sirius narrowed one eye, moving his hand over slightly. Calysta glanced at Peter and Remus before latching her hand onto Sirius'. James grabbed her hand as well and they both pulled her up on the table between them. Sirius' arm slunk around her neck and he wobbled.

"Calysta! Have a butterbeer!" Sirius slurred slightly, handing her the one he had drank out of. She took it cautiously.

"Chug, chug, chug!" Peter changed until most of the room had joined in. She eyed the half-empty bottle, but put it to her lips. She blushed as the team watched her down it within seconds. Peter clapped. Next to him, Remus actually laughed. Calysta wiped her mouth on her sleeve. Sirius flipped his head, making the tie around his head flip Calysta's face. She blinked, then joined in the fun. They were all laughing uncontrollably by now. James handed her another, but she refused. Meanwhile, Peter grabbed his second.

"Just one more, Cal! Come on," James pleaded, pouting his lip. Calysta paused, glancing yet again at Peter and Remus. Peter nodded. She shrugged, uncapping the bottle. The students cheered, the noise drowning out the radio. Calysta took a huge gulp of it before Sirius took it from her hand and took a drink out of it.

"That's mine, you jerk!" She giggled. Sirius shook his finger at her.

"Not," he hiccuped, "anymore!" He exclaimed, pulling his arm tighter around her neck. Their heads were touching; Calysta's face squished against Sirius'. Peter silently remarked how uncomfortable the position seemed to be. The song changed and Sirius let go of Calysta and walked past Peter to the radio. He gave Peter and Remus a goofy smile before turning it up.

"He's insane!" Calysta clutched her stomach she was laughing so hard. Peter and Remus laughed with her as Sirius sang (highly off-key) along with the song.

"They do know how to throw a party," Peter admitted. "You looked embarrassed up there." He added. Calysta shrugged.

"Everyone was watching," She giggled. "Sirius is really tipsy, wouldn't you say?"

"He is, isn't he, 'Sirius' girl'?" Remus nudged Calysta with his elbow. He took a swing off his own butterbeer.

"What's that supposed to mean?" Calysta laughed nervously.

"We think you fancy him, Cal." Peter smiled slyly. Calysta blushed. "You do, don't you!

"Yeah she does! Look at her blush!" Remus laughed in a way that didn't sound like it would have when he was sober.

"You're imagining things... Remus, you're drunk!" Calysta said mildly surprised. Remus giggled. He giggled. He blinked a few times and mumbled words to the song.

"I'm not drunk! Tha' would be highly irresponsible." Remus uttered.

"I'm not, though." Peter said seriously as Remus spun in a circle. Calysta laughed shortly, rolling her eyes.

"You might as well be." She argued. Peter raised his hands in defense.

"It's just what I see," He laughed. Calysta rolled her eyes, now distracting herself from the conversation by taking another bottle from a student walking around with a crate full and singing along with the music. Peter saw her steal glances at the two boys on the table. Even if she denied, Peter and Remus knew she felt something for him.