Twenty-One: Severus

SEVERUS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Nice to see you, Lily." Severus welcomed his best friend as she came down the stairs in a white sweater. It was easy to see her in the overcast morning; one could spot her fiery hair instantly. Severus jerked his head to the side, ridding his eyes of his long hair. Lily's apple-green eyes sparkled back into his.

"You too. Ready?"

"Yeah, let's go," Lily and Severus made their way towards Mr. Filch because both students saw Calysta heading down the stairs with the four hooligans she had considered good company. Lily didn't seem to mind that Sev wanted to avoid them.

"They're pretty close." Sev observed. Lily shrugged.

"Calysta likes them. I just don't see it." She stepped into the shorter line behind two other students for their forms to be checked. Severus snorted.

"Me neither. They're all a bunch of gits." Lily slapped his shoulder.

"That better not include Calysta. She's super sweet, Sev. I honestly think you'd like her."

"A friend of Potter's is not a friend of mine." He said defiantly. Lily rolled her eyes.

"Have you even talked to her at all? She is your table partner in Potions, is she not?" Severus nodded and his nose twitched, not really caring. Calysta never made any move to talk to him, so he found no motivation to start a meet-and-greet conversation. "Anyways...Honeydukes first?" Lily handed her form to Filch without a glance. She was looking at Severus.

"Thanks." He muttered to Filch. "That's fine." Lily started ahead of him in the direction of Hogsmeade.

~~~~~

"Look at the new candy they have in stock now, Sev! Frog Fizzies?" Lily blabbed on. He never really noticed how Lily talked so much. He could listen to her all day. "Chocolate frogs. Those are my favorite." She giggled.

"Why don't we go inside, then?" Sev suggested, his mouth watering at the assortment of wrapped candies in the front window. Lily laughed loudly. Did he say something funny? He gave her an odd look. When Lily noticed, she leaned in closer.

"I didn't think you'd want an encounter with the hooligans. I knew that would make them go away," She explained. Sev looked over his shoulder to see the retreating five figures of Potter and his friends. Severus sighed.

"Thank you. That would have been a nightmare." A nightmare because Potter would have gotten a punch to the face (maybe a good hex in too) and Lily couldn't have stopped him.

"I'm sure..." Lily's voice faded as her attention was grabbed by the candies once more. "We need to go inside." She spoke again, determinedly dragging Sev behind her. He couldn't believe she agreed to go with him. It beyond excited him to have her there. His friends scolded him about asking her, but Sev told them off.

Inside the shop, students crowded around the new display of candies. There were at least five new choices. Blue cubes that froze the consumer in a block of ice for a few seconds; red circular ones that turned your hair the color of apples (apple flavored, as well). One peculiar item stood out to Severus. The candy looked like smoke. He reached his hand out and tried to grab it. The candy felt like mist. Lily picked one up as well, examining it closely.

"How in the world...." Her eyes scanned every inch of the candy. "Hmm. I'll just buy it. Who knows what it will be?" She placed the smokey material/candy in a basket at her side. The black mist stayed in formation as it rested at the bottom.