Thirty-Two: Remus

REMUS

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"So Cal, you never said what you wanted..." James inquired to keep the boredom from overwhelming them as they completed their homework assignment in History of Magic. They were to write about the history of learning defensive magic. Remus had a feeling the essay was influenced by rumors of growing threats surrounding the recent Dementor attacks. He could be wrong, but Calysta had been shut out completely from letters from her mother.

"I'm up for jewelry of some sort; nothing special. Maybe even something from the Muggle world. They're quite fascinating." She shrugged, dipping her blue-feathered quill in ink. Sirius bit at his nails, not contributing any continuous effort into his essay. Remus wanted to scold him, but he knew Sirius would do it eventually, and saying something about it would make him not do it at all.

"Jewelry?" James raised an eyebrow, looking up from his half-filled scroll of paper. Calysta nodded, turning a page in her textbook.

"Yeah. I like accessorizing." She smiled humorously. James rolled his eyes but one corner of his mouth twitched upwards. Sirius' back leaned against Calysta's side, his legs tucked into his chest with his parchment rolled over his knees. He lounged tiredly.

"Just one more week until we leave," He moaned hopefully. "Since we might not be seeing Cal over break, I thought we could exchange gifts the day before we go?" He suggested. They shared looks, then nodded together.

"Sounds like a plan." Peter smiled quickly before resuming his frustrated flicks of his quill on the parchment in front of him. The dorm room was now quiet, the scratching of quills the only sound besides the whistle of wind outside the frosted windows. Remus had lit a fire in the pit in the center of the room.

"Oh no!" Calysta suddenly cried. "Slughorn's Christmas party is the night before we all leave. I'll just not go." She decided to herself, leaning back against the headboard. Sirius re-positioned himself against her, finally starting a paragraph on his scroll.

"You don't like Slug Club anyway." Sirius sighed, jerking his head to flick his hair out of his face. Calysta nodded.

"That's why I'm staying with you guys. Maybe I could convince Lily to stay too." Her voice faded as she concentrated on her essay again. "Remus, what was the name of the guy who invented the Stupefy spell?"

"Lucian Rosethorn." Remus answered instantly. Calysta thanked him, scribbling something on her parchment. She continued for a little longer before setting her quill down on the cushion. "I think I'm done!" She kissed the corner of the parchment and rolled it up. Calysta stood up to leave, but Sirius grabbed her wrist.

"I think you're forgetting something," He hinted. Calysta giggled, placing her fingertips on his neck and planted a kiss on his lips, lingering there for a second or two. Remus rolled his eyes at them, smiling at James' expression.

"Go to bed!" James joked at Calysta. She laughed, pulling away from Sirius. His eyes followed her movements as she stepped away.

"Goodnight!" She said exasperatedly, glaring at James. James chuckled lowly. Peter waved at her as she closed the door behind her.

~~~~~

Remus smacked his fist on the alarm clock on his bedside table before he opened his eyes the next morning. He heard James snort loudly as he was woken. Remus sucked in a deep breath and opened his eyes slowly. His head faced the narrow windows, so he immediately saw the grey blanket of clouds that covered the December sky. The months seemed to be passing faster; he couldn't believe it was nearly Christmas. Remus' body ached, warning him already of the upcoming full moon; it was next Monday. He would have asked Calysta for more Moonbane, but he wished not to bother her.