Sixteen: James

JAMES

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

His head throbbed. His ears were ringing. James sat up in his dorm room on the floor next to his bed. Pale sunshine flooded the room and stung his eyes. He blinked tightly and opened them again, taking in the scene before him.  A bottle of butterbeer from the night before sat on the night stand. Sirius' hand hung off the bed as he laid face down on James' mattress. Remus was in his own bed, sprawled out over the sheets. His shirt was riding up his back, exposing numerous scratches. Peter was not in the room.

"Wake up!" James groaned. Sirius head jerked up from the pillow, shifting to lay on his back. His breathing was fast.

"I don't feel so good." He swatted at the dangling tie around his head. He gazed around the room. "Where's Peter?" He mumbled, stretching. His back popped. Sirius sighed, rubbing his eyes.

"We should go find him," James suggested, using the bed posts to help him stand. He regretted this instantly. His head pounded with the rush of standing. Sirius pushed heavily down on James' shoulders so he could stand himself. They looked at each other and began laughing.

"You look....ridiculous!" Sirius gasped.

"My tie isn't on my head!" James shot back. They laughed even harder. On the other side of the room, Remus stirred, holding his head.

"I told myself not to have drinks last night," He scolded himself. James laughed.

"Hey, friends who transform together, party together." Sirius smiled, his lips crooked with drowsiness. Remus shook his head violently.

"I'm so dizzy." He moaned. "Happy Sunday...Sunday..." His voice faded as he looked around. "Where's Peter?" Sirius and James glanced at each other.

"We're going to look for him now." They said in unison. James was the first to walk down the steps into the common room. A few of his team mates were asleep on the ground. His face brightened as he reached the bottom.

"Morning, Lily." He mumbled, waving weakly. Lily's face snapped towards him. She jumped back from the couch.

"J-James. Hi." Her hands went to her hair and combed it down. Her eyes went back to the couch. Confused, the three boys walked over to the couch. Lily shyly slunk away, leaving the common room nervously.

"Whoa, is he alright?" Remus looked at the fourth Marauder on the couch. He didn't look hurt, but his arms were twisted in weird positions.

"Let's fix him," Sirius bent down and took Peter's arm out from under his back and the other from over the arm of the couch. Peter's eyes blinked open and he sat up.

"I didn't even make it to the dorm." He laughed. The first thing he noticed was he didn't make it to their room? James shrugged.

"I fell asleep on the floor." He told Peter. Peter smiled.

"You're an idiot." He said. Sirius snickered.

"So where did Calysta end up?" Sirius' eyes scanned the room. James looked too.

"I think your girl is in her dorm." Peter said, pointing up the stairs with a sly glint in his eyes. Sirius narrowed his eyes at his friend.

"My girl?"

"You called her that last night." Remus recalled. James laughed loudly.

"Did he really?" He cracked up again. Sirius scowled at James. He turned his gaze back to Remus.

"I did?" Sirius ripped the tie off his head, leaving his hair standing on static. Remus nodded, his smile growing.

"You did." Remus repeated.