Chapter 4 -The Brow

By 7.30 in the evening Joon started walking back from the Bowl to his home. It was a long walk. But he was in no hurry. As he reached the City Centre where the mayor's building was located, he sighed at how much less time it would take to get home.

He had always wondered how no one really talked about how their town was constructed.

It would look a giant disfigured clock from the sky. He thought.

With the mayor's building in the centre surrounded by lanes numbered from 1 to 14, so maybe not exactly like a clock but almost, each with its own sub-streets.

Joon wanted to talk about thoughts like these with someone. Even among his newfound friends he couldn't find anyone just like him. He didn't want to say it first and regret later, like a few times with a few others in the past. Yoongi maybe. But he keeps so quiet it was difficult to know.

When he got home, he saw his little sister, as usual, sitting outside.

"They are at it again," she said as a pillow came flying through the door. The kids walked in together.

"I told you I-" his father stopped talking when he saw them.

"Go freshen up. You look like tired. Dinner will be ready soon," his mother said with a smile that reached nowhere near her eyes.

He rolled his eyes walking amidst the mess on the floor. It was all clothes and pillows really. They used to throw breakables. But once a broken piece of a vase hit Joon's forehead resulting in a cut in his eyebrow. Because of the stitches, a hairless gap adorned his otherwise thick brow. Since then however, his parents would only throw things that didn't break or shatter. To Joon this was funny and sad at the same time. He loved his parents and they loved him and his sister. But he hated the days they fought, which was most days. And over silly things. In front of the kids they'd pretend everything is normal. But as soon as the kids were out of sight they would start again.

When will they realise that we are not deaf? Joon thought as he closed the door to his room.