Chapter 63

Jin hyung smiled at me.

It was so beautiful.

His messy hair. The glasses that hung on his nose. His usual coat over his loose t-shirt.

We sat at the highest step at the Bowl gazing into the horizon. As the sun was ready to set any moment, I felt a touch. I looked at my hand. Hyung was holding onto it. He said,

‘Joonah...’

I nodded.

But he didn’t say anything. He just smiled. His eyes travelled to my forehead as he touched the scar on my eyebrow. And then he proceeded to chuckle as he pulled off my beanie and ruffled my hair…

--------

Kookie did a wise thing. He is much smarter than we give him credit for.

Jimin thought as he sat on a bench outside the hospital room.

Had Kookie not thought of calling the ambulance, they would have lost two lives then and there.

Jimin looked up at Kookie who seemed to be praying. Tae sat by his side leaning against the back of the bench. Yoongi paced back and forth in the corridor.

Hoseok sat beside Jimin. It was evident on his face how scared he was.

He couldn’t believe it all had happened just two hours ago.

When Joon had asked him to continue swimming, Jimin had thought it was because he was tired. He had no idea Joon had a cramp and was suffering.

Swimming as fast as he could, he approached where he last saw Jin. But he couldn’t find his hyung. When he took a long breath and went underwater, he saw an unconscious Jin descending to the depths. He swam faster and pulled him out. Hoseok met him after he had covered half the distance back to the shore. By the time they got back, the ambulance had reached the scene.

“Where is Joon hyung?”

Kookie’s question made him realise that Joon wasn’t back yet. A chill ran through his body when he realised his hyung had asked him to go on when he himself was clearly in danger. With wide eyes he glanced back at the dark lake.

But then he saw a very pale Yoongi swim back to the shore with Joon’s arm hung over his shoulder. Hoseok immediately jumped in and swam to Yoongi, to aid him.

“He is not breathing!”

Jimin snapped back his head when he heard someone yell. What he saw shook him to his core.

Jin laid on the ground, his upper torso exposed.

His heart had stopped beating.

Immediately they had started with the CPR procedures. Kookie wrapped Jimin in a blanket as he sat by his side. Clutching tightly onto his hand, tears threatened to fall from his eyes.

Pale face, his eyes closed. The cold had rendered him colourless. Yoongi’s steps haltered. Feeling weak, he stood by a crying Hoseok and Tae.

His knees weakened when one of the men around Jin shook his head at the other one. As they proceeded to the defibrillation, Joon was taken inside the ambulance, his oxygen mask on.

Jin’s body slightly shuddered at the touch. But nothing major happened. They tried again. Nothing. Hoseok closed his eyes and hugged Tae, his warm tears flowing over his cold wet body.

“The patient has gained consciousness.”

Jimin woke from his trance when a male nurse walked out of the room. The boys ran to the door and saw Joon lying with his eyes open.

“Joon hyung!”
Jimin ran in first followed by the others.

“How do you feel?” Tae asked him.

“I’m okay,” he replied in a low voice.
It was evident that he was weak. He stared at them expecting some news.
When nobody volunteered he asked,
“Jin hyung?”

“We don’t know. He is still unconscious,” Hoseok shook his head.

Soon they left him to rest. Taking seats outside the room, Tae and Kookie sat side by side.

“I’ll get something to eat,” Hoseok said standing before them.

“I’ll come with,” Jimin stood up as soon as he had taken his seat. Turning to the others he asked,
“You guys want something?”

“Something simple?” Kookie requested.

“Okay,” Jimin nodded and he set off with Hoseok.

Trying to get Yoongi’s attention, Kookie coughed mildly. Oblivious to his efforts, the pale boy had his eyes immersed in his phone.

Kookie coughed again and Yoongi looked up.
With his facial expressions, Kookie tried to ask him to leave. He wanted to be alone with Tae.

“Go drink some water Kookie,” Yoongi advised him and returned his attention to his phone.

Mentally slapping himself, Kookie sighed.

“You want water? Let’s go!”

Kookie was surprised when Tae had suddenly grabbed his arm as he stood up and pulled him along.

Kookie wanted to talk. He wanted to know how Tae thought about him.

Does he feel the same way I do? No he doesn’t. But what if he does? I need to-

His trail of thoughts were abruptly disrupted when he realised he was pushed onto a door. By the time he made sense of what was happening, he was already in the empty fire escape.

Alone but with Tae.

Away from the prying eyes of the world stood two souls, gazing into each other’s eyes.

Kookie’s heart raced. His breath now short and fast. He feared for the functioning of his heart at the lack of oxygen.

He didn’t speak. Neither did Tae.
He didn’t blink. Tae didn’t either.

And then he did what his heart told him to.

He lurched at the boy in front of him, and hugged him tight. Through this gesture he wanted to convey that he didn’t want to let go. Ever.

When he felt Tae’s arms tighten around him, his heart leaped.

“I just want to know one thing,” he asked.
“Do you or do you not?”

He heard no reply except the sound of Tae’s slow breaths. He felt his chest tighten.

“Will you...ever...?” he near whispered.

Again, there was no reply.

Soon he felt the fabric on his shoulder get wet. He tried to pull back and look at Tae. But Tae’s hold on him tightened, not letting Kookie see his face.

Though he had expected it, when Kookie heard him say those words, it broke him.

“I’m sorry Jungkookah…”

He cried silently as he clutched onto the boy who just broke his heart.

Though the hug suffocated him, he felt it was what he needed right now.