Chapter 45

The vase broke into a thousand pieces, shiny little shards spread across the floor.

“Aish!” Joon responded at the sudden pain when cool air hit the spot where a tiny piece of broken vase had grazed his cheek. That was definitely going to leave a scar.

Another scar.

Memories came flooding back when he saw his blood after he wiped his cheek with the back of his hand.

A fight followed by some blood. Life has a funny way of reminding you that history repeats itself.

If things continue at this rate, his new family wouldn’t be that different from his old.

-----

Hoseok followed a very angry Kookie after he grabbed his coat and ran out into the cold. He thought he saw someone follow him, but saw no one when he turned around.

By now they were well outside the building. Kookie was far ahead, his frustration adding speed to his legs to get as far away as possible. Barely avoiding hitting the crowd that came from the opposite, Hoseok almost caught up and called out,

“Kookie wait!”

He did not expect it to happen, but Kookie paused. But did not turn around.

They sat on a nearby bench in silence. By now Kookie looked calm. He held onto the small paper cup filled with hot coffee in his hand, trying to soak its warmth, as if that gave him happiness. Maybe it helped a little.

“I didn’t ask you this before because I did not want to upset you,” Hoseok said after a while. Kookie was waiting for his hyung to speak up anyway. Hence this didn’t surprise him.

“Hyung,” Kookie sighed, “I know I shouldn’t have yelled at Jin hyung. It was wrong of me. All the things I said,” he paused and continued again, “it was horrible. I didn’t mean it. I was just…”

“Well, it’s good that you know that,” Hoseok replied immediately, “however, I was about to ask you about something else.”

Kookie furrowed his brows while Hoseok continued,

“What is the issue between you and Tae?”

A very startled Kookie looked at his hyung. This he did not expect.

“You knew?” he almost whispered.

Hoseok turned his body towards his companion and said,
“Of course I knew! Why else would you stick with me so much? Ever since we were at the lake, you have been with me, avoiding Tae! What happened?”

Kookie was surprised at being caught red handed. Well…almost caught red handed. He turned his face away feeling annoyed and let out a breath of frustration.

“I know it’s quite serious because he is avoiding you too. And that never happens. Tae would never avoid you unless it’s something serious.”

Kookie kept silent. He didn’t want to talk about this.

“Just talk to him about it. He and I, we overcame our issues. Soon you will too.”

A scoff escaped Kookie and Hoseok felt insulted at the disrespect.

“Huh?” he responded as she sat straighter.

“You don’t know anything hyung,” he shook his head and laughed mockingly.

“Tell me then.” It seemed as if the request or command from Hoseok was the push Kookie was waiting for. Again, he let it all out.

“If you think Tae has forgotten about your betrayal, you are wrong. He’ll behave like he has. But it’s there, buried deep within his heart. And it will come out some day. And you will fight. And he will leave.”

Hoseok felt a pang in his chest. His eyes fell on the ground and he slumped.

Is that still bothering him?
It has been three years.

“He had told me he moved on,” Hoseok trailed off, still looking down.

Kookie turned his head towards Hoseok, “he told you he moved on?”

-----

He was disappointed at Kookie. The shy and sweet Kookie he once knew was nowhere to be seen. Kookie had grown up. This version who’d fight and insult his hyungs, felt like a stranger.

But he still loved him.

And that was why, when Kookie ran out of the room in anger, Tae had grabbed his jacket to follow after him. But when Hoseok ran past him, he froze.

Let him see a friendly face now. I might end up fighting with him again.

Unwillingly he retraced his steps back into the room. Yoongi was still passed out on the couch, oblivious to the drama that had occurred, while Jimin and Joon huddled around Jin.

Jin didn’t look angry anymore. He was exceptionally silent, his eyes on the floor.

Spotting Tae, Jimin walked to him.
“I told Joon hyung that we’ll take Yoongi hyung to my place for tonight. He’ll be taking Jin hyung home.”

Tae nodded. Jimin looked back at the other three and he continued in almost a whisper,

“I’m a little worried about Jin hyung. He hasn’t uttered a single word.”

------

Yoongi was fast asleep in the backseat as Jimin drove. Tae sat by him looking outside, eyes unfocused and lost in his thoughts. Jimin’s mind was clouded as well. He glanced at Tae for a second, checked the rear-view mirror to make sure Yoongi was asleep before he spoke.

“Um…”
Tae turned back his attention to Jimin.

“Why aren’t you with Kookie right now?” he asked unsure of whether or not he should. Tae sighed.

“We have some issues to solve.”

“I noticed,” Jimin licked his lips with nervousness, “he has been hanging out with Hoseok hyung a lot.”

Tae gave a small smile. It wasn’t a happy one.
“He is trying to get my attention. He thinks it’ll make me jealous.”

“Why would he do that?” Jimin asked genuinely confused.

“I genuinely have no idea,” Tae replied a hint of frustration evident in his tone.

“Is it because you hang out with me?”

Tae looked at Jimin at the sudden question and his face fell. Jimin was wearing his ‘mask’ again.

Lips pursed, face stern, eyes dull. It was rare. But he looked scary and you’d think he’ll yell at you any second. But this expression was just him trying not to let out his real feelings. The boys had never let him know the existence of his ‘mask’.

Tae was torn.

What should I say? It wasn’t exactly because of him. But his name was dragged into the arguments multiple times over the years.

Lost in his thoughts, Tae didn’t realise that he was too silent for too long. He was brought back to reality when he heard Jimin say,
“Oh.”

Tae gulped.

“No! It’s not that!” Lie.

“This has nothing to do with you!” More lies.

“There are some other issues between us,” Tae continued,
“some I’m aware of. While the others, even I have no idea what the reason behind them are,” he was glad to have finally spoken some truth.

“Hmm.”
Jimin still had his eyes on the road while he wore his ‘mask’. It was evident that he wasn’t convinced.

“You clearly aren’t telling me something.”

Sohyun. Tae thought.

“However,” Jimin continued as he sighed,
“he needs to apologize to Jin hyung. They, need to apologize to each other. Even though he was provoked, what Jin hyung did was absolutely wrong.”

Tae nodded, slightly relieved at the topic being changed but still worried about the ‘mask’ being on. He turned his gaze to the road, wondering what would happen the next time he sees Kookie.

Jimin on the other hand felt pain. As he clutched tight to the steering wheel, he took a deep breath to calm down himself and his thoughts.

But his head had plans of its own.

Always the reject. Always the second choice. That’s what you are.