Chapter 30

Tae ran after Kookie as fast as he could. Kookie was fast. But Tae was taller. He caught up to Kookie just after a few strides.

“What is wrong with you!” Tae yelled.

It wasn’t a question.

“I thought we had talked about this!”
He caught Kookie’s arm and forced him to turn around.

“Leave me!” Kookie tried to shrug Tae off of him as he yelled back.

That was when Tae saw Kookie’s face. There was anger, but there was pain. His wet cheeks and swollen eyes were not something Tae had seen in years.

This calmed his tone.

“Look,” he sighed, ”I’m sorry I lied to get you to meet her. I waited so long for you to come around. But you were never ready!”

Kookie’s face showed nothing but anger. Tae waited for him to speak but he couldn’t handle the silence.

“Aish”, he rubbed his face and ran his fimgers through his hair in frustration.

“Kookie! Talk to me!” he caught both of Kookie’s shoulders and shook it.

After more seconds of silence, Tae spoke again, ”nobody is stealing me. I swear. She is a wonderful person! You’ll like her if you just give her a chance...”

Now pain was evident in Tae’s voice.
And it hurt Kookie because as much as he wanted to, he couldn’t tell Tae what he was thinking. What he felt. How he felt.

Instead, he hugged him.

And broke down crying. His tears and snot, wet Tae’s jacket. He didn’t know what else to do.

On the other hand Tae was taken aback by this gesture. As Kookie’s sobs filled the air, Tae hugged him back even tighter.

His own eyes filled with tears as he said, ”Kookie...please tell me what’s wrong. I’m begging you”.

And then Kookie spoke,
”I wish I could. But you’ll hate me forever!”

“I would never hate you...”

“You’d never speak to me again!”

“I would never...”

“Yes! You would!”

Tae broke the hug to look at Kookie’s face, which was difficult because he hung his head low.

He continued, “Please tell me Jungkookah. I promise you, I will not get mad.”

And then Kookie answered his question.

“I know this is selfish but…” Kookie paused and then continued,” please don’t be with her…”

Tae sighed.

He closed his eyes to take a deep breath.

He thought of her and the moments they had over the past few weeks.

But Kookie’s crying face was something he couldn’t handle.

Blinking back a few tears he said, “Okay”, he paused for a second and then continued, ”Anything for you.”

Kookie couldn’t believe his ears. His eyes grew wide.

Tae would give her up for him?

He stopped crying momentarily until Tae asked him, “But can you please tell me why?”

All his emotions came running back and Kookie hugged him and started crying again.

Tae couldn’t ask him anymore.

Whatever the reason was, it clearly upset Kookie like never before. If he wouldn’t be by him, Kookie could go into depression. He could lose Kookie forever.

So he decided to refrain from asking him anything anymore.

“Don’t cry Kookie.  And you don’t have to tell me if you don’t want to,” he said as he rubbed circles on Kookie’s back. He felt Kookie nod his head.

“I love you hyung,” Kookie mumbled as he tightened his arms around the tall and bewildered boy.