Chapter 9 - The Blanket

Taehyung looked outside the window of the moving car excitedly. But he was very nervous.

"Did you pack everything you need Taehyungah?" Mr. Jeon asked from the front seat. Tae nodded with a smile.

"Taehyung, this is Jungook. Jungkook, this is Kim Taehyung. He is the son of someone who was a very good friend of mine."

Mrs. Jeon introduced Tae to the little boy standing in front of him. Little Kookie raised his head to look up to Taehyung's face, his eyes wide and round with wonder filled with large black iris.

Taehyung immediately fell in love with the little boy who reminded him of a cute bunny.

He caught little Kookie's hand and exclaimed," Annyeonghasaeyo Jungkookah!"

Mr. Jeon crouched to reach their heights, his hand on either of their shoulders and said,

Mr. Jeon crouched to reach their heights, his hand on either of their shoulders and said, "Taehyung will be living with us from now on. You two will be sharing a room. So, take care of each other. Okay?" he smiled and pat their back.

Tae liked staying there. Mr and Mrs Jeon took care of Tae as if he was their second son. And he got used to calling them 'Appa' and 'Eomma' now.

Living with Kookie was tough initially as he had no prior experience with sharing. Tae had to adjust, but he didn't mind. He was grateful.

He was enrolled in the same school as Kookie. They were advised to hold hands to and from class not to get lost. Holding Kookie's hand, Taehyung used to walk him to his class and pick him up later as well.

Kookie used to kick Tae in his sleep and finally Tae would end up sleeping on the floor in curled up in his blanket. The kicking eventually stopped though and Tae didn't have to sleep on the floor anymore.

One winter night, it was extremely cold. Tae wanted to wrap his arms around Kookie but he knew Kookie cherished his personal space. He was startled when Kookie suddenly called asked him,

"Hyung? Are you cold?"
"Aniyo, I'm fine," Tae lied.

He felt Kookie get off the bed and slowly walk to his cupboard in the dim light of his night lamp. Raising his head, Tae tried to see what was happening but his vision was limited due to the darkness. Kookie came back with a small baby blue blanket and pulled it over Tae with his little hands.

"Here, now you won't be cold."

Tae was touched. Kookie never shared his stuff. Hence Tae knew this was a big gesture.

It had been almost two years since that first day now. All the awkwardness had gone. Two years of togetherness had made their bond stronger than ever.

There was no more 'my space my things' now. Everything was 'ours'. Tae loved his new parents, his new life.

And although he occasionally thought of his deceased parents, he liked having new people to call as his own.