Chapter 7 - The Cross

Yoongi rested his head over his right arm as he laid down on his bed. He stared at the ceiling lost in his thoughts.

“Yoongi,” he heard a soft voice call him.

“Yoongi come down for dinner,” the voice called out again. He looked at the closed door of his room, mind completely blank.

“YOONGI!” the angry call meant his cue to go downstairs. He slowly got down from his bed, walked out of his room, down the stairs and made his way to the kitchen.

He quickly glanced at his father who was busy reading the newspaper. He jumped onto a chair and placed himself before the plate filled with food.

“How many times are we supposed to call you?!” his father asked when he picked up the spoon.

“I didn’t hear anything,” Yoongi answered looking down at his food.

“Your mom called you twice and then I called you twice-“

“Stepmom,” Yoongi cut him off while speaking as he ate.

“What did you say?” his father asked, raising his voice slightly.

Yoongi answered unfazed, looking at this father,
”Step-mom-u”.

There was pin drop silence in the house. Then he returned to looking at his food and continued,

”And you did not call me twice. Why are you making stuff up like always?” he said, putting stress on the word ‘always’.
His father glared at him.

”That’s it!” he threw the newspaper at Yoongi almost hitting him.

”You can sleep on an empty stomach tonight,” he said as he took away Yoongi’s plate of food to the kitchen,

”One night without dinner will not kill you. You need to respect your elders. You need to learn how to respect me and your mother-“

“She is not my MOTHER!!” Yoongi yelled and ran upstairs.

He locked his room behind him. He switched off the lights and got under his sheets. He could hear something break downstairs and raised voices.

Yoongi woke up when he heard a knock on his door. After waiting for a while, he realised the knocks wouldn’t stop. He lazily got out of bed and slightly opened his door.

Argh...it’s that woman

he thought.

“What?” he asked roughly.

“Yoongi-ah, eat something. You must be hungry,” she whispered.

She moved a little so that he could see the tray in her hand. He moved away from the door to let her in. She switched on the table lamp and the room was filled with a yellow glow.

She placed the tray on the table and turned around to look at him. Even in the dim light he could see a change in colour on her cheeks. She smiled feeling out of place, and said,

”Eat it before it gets cold,” and walked out closing the door behind her.

‘I wouldn’t have eaten if my stomach hadn’t grumbled so much that I couldn’t sleep.’

He tried to give explanations to himself as to why was he in fact eating food. He hated his father and he hated that woman. He hated his father for remarrying in less than a year after his mother passed away.

He hated that woman for trying to take his mother’s place. It didn’t matter to him that his father ill- treated her like he did to his mother or himself.

It shouldn’t matter to him that this woman gets new purple bruises on her body, just like his mother, until one day it would be his turn. He didn’t care for her. He shouldn’t.

He clutched his little fingers around a cross on his neck. Something he stole from his mother’s cupboard before the woman moved in.

He was grateful to the universe for just one thing and one thing only. The Bowl. He couldn’t wait for it to be tomorrow to get to the Bowl. To get to Hoseok. To get to his friends.